‘It’s a Limbo’: Grad Students, Frustrated by Harvard’s Response to Bullying Complaint, Petition for Reform

Community Groups Promote Vaccine Awareness Among Cambridge Residents of Color

Students Celebrate Upcoming Harvard-Yale Game at CEB Spirit Week

Harvard Epidemiologist Michael Mina Resigns, Appointed Chief Science Officer at eMed

Harvard Likely to Loosen Campus Covid Restrictions in the Spring, Garber Says

Cambridge Man Arrested in Leverett House

By Michael E. Xie, Crimson Staff Writer

UPDATED: October 20, 2017 at 12:55 a.m.

A 21-year-old man is currently awaiting trial in Cambridge District Court after being arrested in the Leverett House courtyard last week.

The Harvard University Police Department apprehended Peter Asmar, a Cambridge resident unaffiliated with Harvard, around 1:30 a.m. last Wednesday after an altercation with a Harvard staff member and the responding officers, according to the HUPD police log.

Upon arriving at Leverett House to respond to a report of a stolen iPhone 6 Plus pinging near the dining hall, HUPD officers were informed that the culprit had previously assaulted, annoyed, and sexually accosted the reporting parties along Memorial Dr. After searching the House, the officers found Asmar and “instructed [him] to come out from where they were hiding,” HUPD wrote in the police log.

While the officers led him through the courtyard of McKinlock Hall, Asmar ran from the police and struggled with an officer who attempted to stop him.

After his arrest, Asmar was then booked by the Cambridge Police Department at their headquarters, as is standard for HUPD arrests, CPD spokesperson Jeremy Warnick wrote in an email.

He is being charged for receiving stolen property, assault, annoying and accosting sexually, trespassing, resisting arrest, larceny, and assault and battery on a police officer. According to the Cambridge District Court, he is currently incarcerated and awaiting his court date on Nov. 7, with bail set at $500.

Earlier this semester, CPD arrested Asmar due to a warrant for disorderly conduct from the Boston District Court, wrote Warnick. According to the Boston Municipal Court, he was involved in an incident near Boylston St. where he was “incessantly hitting on” a girl and “asking for her number.”

Earlier this month, an undergraduate was assaulted along the Charles River while she was running from Leverett House towards Western Ave.

—Staff writer Michael E. Xie can be reached at michael.xie@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @MichaelEXie1.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

CORRECTION: October 20, 2017

A previous version of this article incorrectly indicated when police apprehended Peter Asmar. They arrested him at 1:30 a.m. last Wednesday, not 1:30 p.m.

CrimeCollegeLeverettHUPDCambridge Police