Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

Trader Joe's Transfers Liquor License

Trader Joe’s in Cambridge on a Wednesday afternoon. Trader Joe’s in Cambridge is transferring their liquor license to their new location in Allston.
Trader Joe’s in Cambridge on a Wednesday afternoon. Trader Joe’s in Cambridge is transferring their liquor license to their new location in Allston. By Matthew W DeShaw
By Lucy Wang and Sarah Wu, Crimson Staff Writers

The Trader Joe’s on 748 Memorial Drive—frequented by Harvard undergraduates—will cease alcohol sales on Oct. 1.

But students need not worry, as the Trader Joe’s location slated to open in Allston mid-October will offer beer, wine, and spirits.

The company began a process of transferring its liquor license to Salt and Olive—a gourmet food store near campus—at a Cambridge License Commission hearing last Wednesday.

Trader Joe’s currently has 19 Massachusetts locations, seven of which sell alcohol. Massachusetts state law forbids any one company from holding more than seven liquor licenses within the state, so as to not monopolize liquor sales.

In February, Trader Joe’s received the green light from the Boston Licensing Board to sell alcohol at its Allston location in the Continuum complex, near the Harvard Stadium and iLab.

The new Trader Joe’s will open at the intersection of North Harvard St and Western Ave traditionally known as Barry’s Corner, along with restaurant Our Father’s Deli. Down the street on Western Avenue from Barry’s Corner, Harvard’s Science and Engineering Complex is growing by the day.

In order to abide by state limits, the company decided to transfer the liquor license of the Memorial Drive location. This transfer is still awaiting approval.

—Staff writer Lucy Wang can be reached at lucy.wang@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @lucyyloo22.

—Staff writer Sarah Wu can be reached at sarah.wu@thecrimson.com. Follow her on Twitter @sarah_wu_.

Student LifeMetro