Harvard Converting Fourth Floor of Lamont Library Into Creative Writing Space

The fourth floor of Lamont Library is undergoing construction.
The fourth floor of Lamont Library is undergoing construction. By Joshua Y. Chiang
By Connor W.K. Brown and Isabel L. Isselbacher, Contributing Writers

Harvard is converting the fourth floor of Lamont Library into a new space for creative writing. The floor is currently closed for renovation and is on track to reopen by the start of the spring 2019 term.

Construction kicked off Sept. 17, 2018 and is expected to conclude on Jan. 31, 2019.

“The project is on schedule and should be available for use in the spring term,” Michael N. Lichten, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences associate dean for physical resources and planning, wrote in an emailed statement. “The fourth floor of Lamont will be used for the English Creative Writing activity.”

Lamont already boastsseveral classrooms, media labs, reading rooms, and a cafe. The library, which is open 24 hours on most weeknights during the term, is often packed with undergraduates studying late into the night.

Some students who regularly study in Lamont said they were unaware of how the new space will be used.

“I am quite excited to see what the reveal of this enigma is, as we don’t quite know what is going on on the fourth floor,” Abigail Y. Pan ’22 said.

Lamont Library posted several notices warning students about possible intermittent construction noise and asking them for their patience and understanding. For some, it hasn't been an issue. David A. Paffenholz ’22 said he has never once felt bothered by the noise.

“I only go there at night, so I wouldn’t be able to tell the daytime construction,” he said.

Pan agreed.

“I have never heard actual construction noises,” she said.

A worker takes a walk at the Lamont construction site.
A worker takes a walk at the Lamont construction site. By Joshua Y. Chiang

Lichten noted that his office is coordinating with the library management in Lamont to minimize the noise and disruption.

“The project team is working very closely with the Lamont building manager and library administration to ensure that users of the library are not disrupted by the project,” Lichten wrote. “This involves close coordination and scheduling of construction activity.”

LibrariesEnglishLamont