Top Five James Bond Themes: From Bassey to Billie

How does Billie Eilish's new James Bond theme song, "No Time to Die," stack up against its predecessors?
How does Billie Eilish's new James Bond theme song, "No Time to Die," stack up against its predecessors? By Courtesy of Lars Crommelinck Photography
By Sofia Andrade, Crimson Staff Writer

To celebrate the release of Billie Eilish’s new James Bond theme song, “No Time To Die,” here’s a definitive ranking of the top five Bond themes, from rock bangers to orchestral classics.

5. “The World Is Not Enough” by Garbage

Rock band Garbage’s take on the Bond theme for “The World Is Not Enough” (1999) follows many conventions of the traditional Bond song subgenre, such as the song’s commanding orchestral opening, but is set apart by Shirley Manson’s brooding, lilting vocals and an undeniable ‘90s alt-rock influence. The song is ominous and beckons you to lose yourself in its angst-filled lyrics, all while echoing the established musicality of other Bond themes.

4. “Goldfinger” by Shirley Bassey

Shirley Bassey is the quintessential Bond singer and “Goldfinger” (1964), the best of her three contributions to the franchise, is the quintessential Bond song. The track features a booming orchestral section that still doesn’t overpower Bassey’s vocals as she belts out lyrics about Mr. Goldfinger and his kiss of death. The song’s strongest quality is Bassey’s voice, which croons sultrily above the classic instrumentation we’ve come to associate with the Bond theme.

3. “Skyfall” by Adele

Probably the best-known Bond theme, Adele’s track for “Skyfall” (2012) checks all the boxes — powerful vocals that take influence from Bassey, a signature orchestral section, and nonsensical lyrics scrambling to match the film title — though its chart success could be attributed to Adele’s own popularity at the time. Still, the song breaks free from the genre’s bounds to become a certified earworm and the first Bond theme to secure an Academy Award for Best Original Song.

2. “No Time To Die” by Billie Eilish

Eilish’s haunting vocals on the theme for the upcoming Bond film, “No Time to Die,” are painfully beautiful from start to finish. Though the song features the lulling harmonies characteristic of Eilish’s music, the underlying piano melody, whirling strings, and powerful orchestral bridge of the song are reminiscent of past Bond staples, giving the genre of the Bond theme a modern edge.

1. “Live and Let Die” by Paul McCartney & Wings

The theme song for “Live and Let Die” (1973) has been an iconic powerhouse and cultural mainstay since its release, and it’s no surprise why. McCartney’s piano ballad turned rock n’ roll banger is one of his best songs with Wings, and its lyricism and musicality are unmatched in the realm of Bond themes. It was the first rock song to be used as a theme in a James Bond film — and the only one whose lyrics make some semblance of sense. The song is infectious, energizing, and timeless beyond its connection to Bond, making it a clear ringer for number one on this list.

—Staff Writer Sofia Andrade can be reached at sofia.andrade@thecrimson.com.

ArtsCulture