‘Opinions’ Review: Why We Need Feminist Voices Today

4 Stars

Cover of Roxane Gay's "Opinions."
Cover of Roxane Gay's "Opinions." By Courtesy of HarperCollins
By Cindy Zhang, Contributing Writer

This review contains discussions of sexual assault.

“When you have opinions, particularly opinions that challenge the status quo, people are going to react,” Roxane Gay, the New York Times-bestselling author of “Bad Feminist,” writes in her new essay collection “Opinions.”

In “Opinions,” Gay collects highlights of her commentary from the last decade — pieces that have been previously seen in publications including The New York Times and The Guardian, profiles of pop-culture celebrities such as Nicki Minaj, and excerpts from her advice column, “Work Friend.”

Gay is a woman of strong convictions. Despite the fact that it has earned her “too many enemies” she continues to voice her opinions and provide a safe space for people to express their grievances against the existing order. From Black lives to civil duties, from Donald Trump to Toni Morrison, Gay provides invaluable guidance in creating, expressing, and responding to opinions to address pressing social issues.

In “Opinions,” Gay recounts how young women are asking for guidance on how to apply their feminism without being considered angry, new graduates are asking how they can alter the seemingly hopeless conditions in their lives, and people are curious why there is so much animosity online. But a fear of using the wrong words leads people to, according to Gay, “turn to opinion writing because they want help in parsing complex issues.” Disillusioned with how the world is today, what can one do next? “Opinions” is a book worth picking up for readers who have asked themselves this same question.

Many of Gay’s works revolve around gender politics, including “Bad Feminist,” her most renowned compilation of essays, and “Hunger,” a memoir that reflects on her relationship with her body. Many of the essays in “Opinions” follow this feminist theme. In “It’s Time to Rage,” she recalls how she and her wife, Debbie, were both victims of sexual assault. Debbie had been living in fear of being pregnant for years, but she lacked anyone to talk to and had nowhere to seek help. As for Gay, who was raised Catholic, she used to believe abortion was a sin.

“If I had been pregnant, I don’t know what I would have done,” she writes.

Gay’s anger is best understood when she shares her personal experiences and the hardships she has faced. “Opinions” is successful in tackling the root causes of the difficulties experienced by women, though it means confronting and disclosing Gay’s own painful past.

As she recounts, those subjected to sexual harassment, assault, and rape are often disbelieved in favor of protecting the men who perpetrate sexual harassment. In “I Thought Men Might Do Better Than This,” Gay refers to the public energy devoted to supporting male perpetrators as the “man problems.” According to Gay, it is time for men to take charge of their own issues, as women are not accountable for a problem that they did not create. Gay’s historical perspective on rape culture and feminism provides valuable insight — it is clear that much of what women experience today is not new under the sun, and a real transformation requires a collective effort from individuals and the culture itself.

Race is another theme discussed in “Opinions.” Gay’s cultural criticism over the past decade has often focused on the heartbreaking loss of Black lives such as Michael Brown. Acknowledging the reasons behind their deaths, Gay writes, is essential: Systemic racism has been around for centuries and influences all aspects of our lives. She argues that this day calls for a strong refusal to stay silent in the face of injustice, regardless of how difficult it may be. Gay’s opinion writing is enhanced by her thorough contemplation of every event, making it a valuable resource for readers.

In addition to feminism and race, “Opinions” also explores Gay’s personal relationship with her sexuality. After coming out as a lesbian at 19 and later identifying as bisexual, Gay describes her experience with her sexuality as “relatively unremarkable.” In her home state of Nebraska, she did not know other LGBTQ+ people and had no role models. When Gay and Debbie first took part in Pride, they discovered what they had always wanted and deserved: “a welcoming space where we can be safe and free.” Gay points out the necessity of having a place where those who have shared experiences can find solace.

“Now what?” is a question Gay asks herself often in the book — a question many recent graduates are asking themselves after collecting their hard-earned diplomas. In “Opinions,” Gay writes that rather than allowing themselves to be complacent and feel hopeless, young people can make themselves uncomfortable by “imagining the impossible to be possible.” Gay admits that “it is a small line to draw.” It would be advantageous if she gave more advice on how to facilitate transformation, but it is a start.

Growing up, Gay was a devoted reader of advice columns such as “Dear Abby” and “Ask Ann Landers.” She enjoyed the thrill of reading these columns, which were “glimpses into the lives and troubles of others.” In 2018, she launched a column of her own called “Work Friend,” answering questions about the office, money, careers, and work-life balance. The solicited advice at the end of the book displays the full power of Gay’s writing. Her opinions are not just indictments of the suffering people went through, but intimate conversations capable of uplifting the reader during any phase of their life.

BooksArts