The Best Celebrity SNL Hosts in Recent SNL History

30 Rock Saturday Night Live building during the 40th anniversary of SNL.
30 Rock Saturday Night Live building during the 40th anniversary of SNL. By Courtesy of Anthony Quintano / Wikimedia Commons
By Asha M. Khurana, Crimson Staff Writer

10. David Harbour, 2019

David Harbour brought his all to SNL. Each character was both completely distinct and performed with unbelievable intensity. From an overly motivating instructor in “SoulCycle” to an emotionally vulnerable father in “Father-Son Podcasting Microphone,” Harbour holds nothing back. And, he brings a horror-drama edge from his time on Stranger Things to “Grouch,” a parody of Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker that was beloved by SNL audiences.

9. Ana de Armas, 2023

Ana de Armas crushed her first SNL hosting gig. She brought expertly executed deadpan humor to “American Girl Doll Movie Trailer,” riffing on the historical backgrounds of the dolls in a sketch sure to reach Gen Z. She also exhibited incredible chemistry with SNL cast member Marcello Hernández in “Spanish Class,” and audiences can hope that she returns to SNL soon to riff with Hernandez once again.

8. Travis Kelce, 2023

Before Travis Kelce was known as Taylor Swift’s beau, he was simply a recent Super Bowl champion with a thirst to prove himself in Hollywood. All jokes aside, Kelce’s SNL debut occurred hot off the heels of his Super Bowl win, and his excellence as a host shocked audiences. His stand-up monologue was delivered with precision and charm, and his versatility as characters from “Straight Male Friend” to a doll connoisseur in “American Girl Café” showed audiences Kelce’s charisma as a performer for the first time.

7. Bill Hader, 2018

Bill Hader brought audiences right back to his SNL glory days when he returned to host in 2018. The SNL alum revived recurring bits like The Californians and Stefon seamlessly. SNL revists to popular sketches can sometimes feel like cheap grabs for laughs, but Hader manages to return to his most famous characters without a stale moment. And, with shamelessly goofy sketches like “Undercover Office Potty,” Hader reminds audiences that even after garnering critical acclaim from his 2018 show “Barry,” he still doesn’t take himself too seriously.

6. Emma Stone, 2023

Emma Stone is the newest inductee into SNL’s five-timers club with her recent hosting gig. Stone always wows on SNL, contributing to true classics like 2016’s absurd yet topical sketch “High School Theatre Show.” Stone’s most recent SNL stint, however, was particularly impressive as she was able to continue the momentum into a fifth appearance. She is goofy as ever in “What’s in the Kiln?”, and returns to 2017’s “Posters” character with untouched energy and renewed panache.

5. Timothée Chalamet, 2020

In 2020, Timothée Chalamet delivered one of the most viral SNL performances in recent history. “Rap Roundtable” has been the subject of countless Halloween costumes since its debut; Chalamet riffs with Pete Davidson, allowing their natural comedic chemistry to take center stage. “Tiny Horse,” an absurd sketch with little premise besides the title, also made its rounds on the internet, proving that sometimes simple is better.

4. Harry Styles, 2019

Exercising his acting chops even before his film career started, Harry Styles pulled double duty on SNL in 2019. He was off to a strong start with a hilarious monologue that convinced any doubters of his comedic excellence. Styles poked fun at his own public image after nearly a decade in the spotlight, delivering laughs to fans and skeptics alike. Styles gives a gut-busting and quotable performance in “Airline Pilots” and caters to a Gen-Z audience with the shocking innuendos of “Sara Lee.”

3. Quinta Brunson, 2023

Quinta Brunson has risen to comedy superstardom in recent years, and her wildly successful 2023 has been complemented by an excellent first SNL appearance back in April. Her impeccable monologue showcased her stand-up excellence, while addressing the issue of educator treatment in the U.S. with both deference and levity. And, her character work is truly untouchable in sketches like “Bosses,” elevating her comedic versatility to new heights.

2. John Mulaney, 2018

After writing for SNL in the early days of his career, John Mulaney returned to Studio 5H to host for the first time in 2018. His appearance was so well-received that Mulaney went on to become a member of SNL’s five-timers club in less than four years. Mulaney has crushed it every time he has hosted the show, but his first hosting gig gained notoriety for a reason. The highlight of the episode was “Diner Lobster,” a dramatic musical theater interpretation of eating seafood at a diner that elicited, in Mulaney’s words, “the biggest applause I had ever experienced in the studio.” The episode featured full-cast excellence in “The Real Intros of Reality Hills,” as well as Mulaney bringing vengeance to “Drag Brunch.”

1. Adam Driver, 2016

Adam Driver’s versatility as an actor translates incredibly well to SNL’s comedic medium. Throughout his three times hosting, Driver has delivered some astounding and hilarious characters. From the oil baron in “Career Day” to the medieval reenactor in “Medieval Times,” Driver never fails to take his characters all the way, flavoring his humor with an intense drama. His first time hosting tops this list, as the sketch “Star Wars Undercover Boss: Starkiller Base” became a modern classic.

ArtsCulture