Best Parks in Cambridge to Visit this Spring

Mount Auburn Cemetary is one of Cambridge's most scenic parks and features the Asa Gray Garden.
Mount Auburn Cemetary is one of Cambridge's most scenic parks and features the Asa Gray Garden. By Rizka/Wikimedia Commons
By Maria F. Cifuentes, Contributing Writer

It’s lighter out longer, the air is warmer, and the flowers are blooming again. Spring has finally arrived! It’s the perfect weather for putting on a light jacket and taking a long walk through the park, so head outdoors with a friend or two to enjoy the wonderful weather and scenery. Here are five parks to visit in Cambridge this spring.

5. Cambridge Commons

Just a short walk from the Yard, Cambridge Commons is across the street from the Johnston Gate. The park features paved bike and pedestrian pathways, making it a great spot to go on a run, or simply walk around with headphones on. A podcast, audiobook, or favorite song would complete a walk through the park’s looping pathways, and one’s worries might begin to fade away. A large grassy area in the center of the park practically begs for visitors to throw down a blanket, and take in this little gem of a park.

4. Joan Lorentz Park

Located right in front of Cambridge Public Library, Joan Lorentz Park is the perfect place for a morning or afternoon stroll — and maybe even a quick trip to the library. The park features extensive greenery, tall trees, and a vast space to play frisbee with friends! This park is also a hot spot for dogs, so opportunities to watch cute puppies run around abound. Along with puppies, the park even features tennis courts! Whether it’s a study day at the library, relaxing in the sun’s warmth, playing tennis, or hanging with dogs, Joan Lorentz Park has got it all.

3. Riverbend Park

For those afternoons when the sky turns pink as the sun sets, grab a blanket, some snacks, a good book, and head down to the Riverbend Park along the Charles River! This is one of the best spots near Harvard Square to watch the sunset and sunrise over the glistening water — the best view is from the bridge that leads directly to the Harvard Business School. The breathtaking view is not to be missed. The park is also ideal for running and biking enthusiasts, since the street is closed off to traffic every Saturday and Sunday.

2. North Point Park

Further down the Charles, North Point Park makes the walk to get there totally worth it. The park serves as a haven next to the bustling highway, with its beautiful perennials and meadows. A small bridge over the river provides an ideal view of the vibrant trees and various flowers. This is the perfect place to disconnect from the world for a moment, getting lost in the garden’s calming atmosphere and soothing river sounds.

1. Mount Auburn Cemetery

If there’s one thing everyone should do this spring, it’s to plan a day trip to the Mount Auburn Cemetery. The park acts as an urban oasis, featuring the serene Asa Gray Garden. Visitors can walk throughout the many pathways to enjoy the mesmerizing greenery, sit for a couple of hours with a book, paint, or just listen to the birds chirping. Mount Auburn Cemetery is an inspiring place — full of life and surrounded by flowering trees, shrubs, and a calming air that flows throughout the landscape.

ArtsCulture