Harvard Medical School Pushes Expected Conclusion of Morgue Report to October

Harvard Medical School first announced the external panel evaluating the Anatomical Gifts Program in mid-June, shortly after the school's former morgue manager was indicted.
Harvard Medical School first announced the external panel evaluating the Anatomical Gifts Program in mid-June, shortly after the school's former morgue manager was indicted. By Pei Chao Zhuo
By Jade Lozada and Neil H. Shah, Crimson Staff Writers

Harvard Medical School has pushed the expected timeline for a report on its Anatomical Gifts Program — whose former morgue manager was indicted for stealing and selling human remains — from the “end of summer” to October.

In an Aug. 23 update to the Frequently Asked Questions page on its site, the school wrote that the ongoing external panel evaluating the Anatomical Gifts Program is now expected to finalize its report in October. The page had previously stated that the report was expected to be completed by the “end of summer.”

The University appointed an external panel of experts to assess the policies and practices of the program after federal prosecutors accused former morgue manager Cedric Lodge of stealing and selling human remains from the school for profit.

In the weeks following Lodge’s indictment on counts of conspiracy and aiding and abetting the interstate transport of stolen goods, family members affected by the mishandling of human remains filed multiple class-action lawsuits alleging negligence on Harvard’s part.

The panel began its work in mid-June, shortly after Lodge’s indictment was announced. Its report is expected to provide feedback as well as recommend improvements and added safeguards to the program.

“Harvard University has appointed an external panel of experts to evaluate our Anatomical Gift Program and morgue policies and practices, with the goal of providing constructive feedback and recommendations to improve the security and integrity of the program and of the generous whole-body donations it receives,” the website states.

The Medical School has committed to making the panel’s report publicly available.

The members of the panel include Sally S. Aiken, a forensic pathologist and former president of the National Association of Medical Examiners; Robert J. McKeon, director of the Body Donor Program at Emory University School of Medicine; and Brandi Schmitt, executive director of anatomical services at University of California Health.

“HMS is dedicated to lifelong learning and to introspection, innovation, and growth, particularly in the face of challenge,” the Medical School website states. “These values drive our commitment to do all we can to prevent something like this from happening again.”

—Staff writer Jade Lozada can be reached at jade.lozada@thecrimson.com.

—Staff writer Neil H. Shah can be reached at neil.shah@thecrimson.com. Follow him on X @neilhshah15.

Harvard Medical SchoolUniversityFront Middle FeatureFeatured Articles