Narratives of Love: Books to Read This Valentine’s Day

Books on a shelf for Valentine's Day.
Books on a shelf for Valentine's Day. By Angel Zhang
By Lola J. DeAscentiis, Crimson Staff Writer

Though typically focused on romance, Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to celebrate love in every form. From friendship to familial bonds, books can offer a rich tapestry of narratives that explore these different forms of affection. Whether you’re seeking heartwarming romance, personal reflection, or love poems to the earth, this curated list of recommendations has something for everyone. We hope you enjoy diving into these reads and immersing yourself in the beauty and complexity of love this Valentine's Day!

Friendship

“Sula” by Toni Morrison

One of Morrison’s lesser known masterpieces, “Sula” explores themes of friendship and identity through the ever-evolving, lifelong bond between Nel Wright and Sula Peace. As readers watch Nel and Sula grow up, Morrison artfully weaves together the intricacies of loyalty, betrayal, forgiveness, and self-discovery into an emotionally compelling plot.

“Swing Time” by Zadie Smith

“Swing Time” follows the story of an unnamed biracial narrator, whose life is closely intertwined with that of her childhood friend Tracey, who is also biracial. They both share a love for tap dancing and dream of becoming professional dancers, but their paths diverge as they grow older. The novel moves back and forth in time, retrospectively exploring the narrator’s childhood and her relationship with Tracey.

Familial Love

“Between the World and Me” by Ta-Nehisi Coates

Written from the perspective of the author himself, “Between the World and Me” takes the form of a letter from Coates to his teenage son. Structured around Coates’ reflections on his own experiences as a Black man in America, the writing is deep and personal, as it is ultimately driven by Coates’s love for his son.

“The Year of Magical Thinking” by Joan Didion

Those familiar with “The Year of Magical Thinking” may be shocked to find it on this list, given its heart-wrenchingly sad storyline. However, beneath Didion’s heartbreak — as she copes with the death of her husband and decline of her only child — is a deep and abiding love for her family. Explored through the lens of grief, this memoir provides complex insights into the relationship between love and loss.

“On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous” by Ocean Vuong

This must-read memoir is written as a letter from Vuong to his illiterate mother, delving into his family’s history as Vietnamese immigrants in the United States who were personally affected by the Vietnam War. Through breathtaking lyrical prose and intimate storytelling, Vuong explores themes of family, identity, love, trauma, racism, and the immigrant experience.

Romantic Love

“Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen

Of Jane Austen’s six romance novels, “Pride and Prejudice” is arguably the best choice for a quick Valentine’s Day read. Known for its quintessential romance plot that explores themes of love, courtship, and marriage, this novel is a timeless story of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy’s journey from initial misunderstandings to eventual mutual admiration and love.

“Under the Udala Trees” by Chinelo Okparanta

For those seeking LGBTQ+ romance, “Under the Udala Trees” is worth a read. Set amidst the backdrop of the Nigerian Civil War, the novel follows the life of Ijeoma, a young Nigerian girl who falls in love with another woman. With deeply descriptive writing, Okparanta delves into themes of love, identity, and the challenges faced by queer people in conservative societies.

Self-Love

“Unbound: My Story of Liberation and the Birth of the Me Too Movement” by Tarana Burke

Written by the woman who founded the “Me Too” movement, “Unbound” tells the story of Burke liberating herself as she simultaneously liberated millions of others, showing that love for one’s community and oneself are inextricably linked. Burke’s writing is poignant and deep, offering an eye-opening perspective on self-compassion.

“The Alchemist” by Paul Coelho

"The Alchemist" explores several themes related to self-discovery, personal growth, and spiritual fulfillment. The plot follows the journey of Andalusian shepherd boy Santiago as he pursues treasure; underlying themes of self-care are carefully woven into the story, suggesting that self-love is a treasure in and of itself.

“Untamed” by Glennon Doyle

In “Untamed,” Doyle emphasizes the importance of unapologetically embracing one's true self as she illustrates her own story of coming out and becoming, per the title, untamed. This series of artfully written essays with powerful figurative language inspired the hit podcast “We Can Do Hard Things,” rendering it all the more worth the read.

Love of the Earth

“Braiding Sweetgrass” by Robin Wall Kimmerer

A profound exploration of Indigenous wisdom, scientific knowledge, and ecological consciousness, “Braiding Sweetgrass” examines human-to-human love within the context of the earth. The book features discussion of reciprocity, the sacredness of nature, gratitude, and stewardship. Kimmerer offers a powerful vision of love for the planet, rooted in a deep appreciation for the beauty and complexity of the natural world.

“Devotions” by Mary Oliver

Just like the art of song, poetry can offer an illustration of love that can’t be communicated in mere prose; “Devotions” by Mary Oliver is one such collection of verse. As it celebrates all things living and carefully examines every crevice of the natural world, Oliver’s beautifully intricate descriptions of nature offer an unparalleled love for the earth.

BooksArts