Harvard University Health Services Warns Students About Spike in Respiratory Illness

Harvard University Health Services warned students about a recent spike in Massachusetts in cases of respiratory illness.
Harvard University Health Services warned students about a recent spike in Massachusetts in cases of respiratory illness. By Delano R. Franklin
By Alex Chou and Camilla J. Martinez, Crimson Staff Writers

Harvard University Health Services leadership warned affiliates to exercise additional caution amid rising cases of respiratory illness in an email to Harvard affiliates on Tuesday.

The email — co-signed by HUHS Director Giang T. Nguyen, Counseling and Mental Health Services Chief Barbara Lewis, and Associate Provost for Student Affairs Robin Glover — noted that recent data from the Centers for Disease Control found that Massachusetts is currently “reporting high levels of respiratory illness including flu, COVID-19, and RSV.”

In the email, HUHS also announced its participation in the American College Health Association-National College Health Assessment (NCHA), a survey designed to gather data and analyze the behavioral, health, and wellness issues — including substance use, sexual health, mental health, sleep habits, and exercise and nutrition — of graduate and undergraduate students.

Students will receive an email with a link to the survey from Nguyen via the NHCA on Monday, February 26, and it will remain available until Friday, March 8.

According to HUHS, “the results will assist the University in developing education and adjusting services to further support student needs.”

The email included mental health resources provided by HUHS including in-person and telemedicine sessions via Counseling and Mental Health Services. HUHS removed limits on the number of outpatient mental health care visits outside of CAMHS and on the number of outpatient clinic visits outside of HUHS that students can make under the student health insurance plan late last month.

Correction: February 8, 2024

A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that HUHS removed limits on the number of CAMHS appointments students can make. In fact, HUHS removed limits on the number of outpatient clinic visits outside of HUHS and the number of outpatient mental health care visits outside of CAMHS.

—Staff writer Alex Chou can be reached at alex.chou@thecrimson.com.

—Staff writer Camilla J. Martinez can be reached at camilla.martinez@thecrimson.com Follow her on X @camillajinm.

Student LifeHealthMental HealthUniversityUniversity NewsFront Middle FeatureFeatured Articles