In Photos: Grouplove Rocks The Roadrunner

By Tracy Jiang
By Tracy Jiang

Grouplove electrified Boston’s Roadrunner with their March 29 concert — the penultimate stop on their “Rock and Roll Won’t Save Me” tour. There, Crimson photographer Tracy Jiang captured their energetic and immersive show.

The night kicked off with a captivating performance by Bully, the solo project of German-born singer, songwriter, and guitarist Alicia Bognanno. With a stripped-down acoustic set, Bognanno’s opening act set the tone for the evening.

Grouplove took to the stage with a rendition of “Close Your Eyes and Count to Ten,” led by vocalist Hannah Hooper and guitarist Christian Zucconi.

Fans erupted with excitement and sung along as Hooper stepped to the front of the stage.

Zucconi swayed to the beat of the music, bathed in vibrant red, yellow, and orange hues.

Grouplove soared to fame with their 2011 single “Tongue Tied.” This captivating track clinched the number one spot on the Billboard Alternative Songs chart in 2012, marking a milestone as the band’s first chart-topping single.

In the middle of the set, Hooper took a moment to encourage the crowd to make art, emphasizing how important it is to get to know yourself better and be a better person.

“You’re the only person who can make your art,” Hooper said.

The American alternative rock band is comprised of seven members and has released six studio albums to date.

Drummer Benjamin Homola, who joined the group in 2017, kept the energy up through the 22-song set.

An enthusiastic concert attendee raised their drink in celebration to the music while they sang and danced along.

Grouplove closed out the night with an encore of “Itchin’ on a Photograph,” “Raspberry,” and “Colors.” With summer festivals on the horizon, they will be heading back on tour with P!NK in the fall.

Photo EssayFront Photo FeatureFeatured Articles