Housing Problems, FAS Deficit, and Harvard Prep

•
1946 Crimson
1946 Crimson

Every week, The Crimson publishes a selection of articles that were printed in our pages in years past.

October 15, 1875: Gentlemen of Liesure

There is a world-wide prejudice, I might almost say superstition, that a gentleman should never soil his hands with work. There was perhaps a time in America, when even those dignified personages in white wigs, knee-breeches, and gilt frames, of whom we are all so proud,—even if they be only distant cousins on the mother's side,—played a part almost manual in laying the foundation of the great country in which we live; but those days are past. The state has successively passed through the ordeals of creation and salvation, in the true old orthodox way; fortunes have accumulated; and there are hundreds of men among us now, who, fully impressed with the sense of their social importance and financial security, are determined to uphold their position in a manner that would be acknowledged by the most exacting to be truly gentlemanly.

October 18, 1946: Harvardevens, Livable but Expensive, Shapes Up as Real Community

Harvardevens Village, the spanking new home for 400 students and their families, isn't an overstuffed cherry bowl. Nor is, it for that matter, a thorny crown which the University is pressing on the brows of its married veterans. Being no exception to the rule on contentious subjects, the truth about. Harvard's newest project is someplace in between.

First off, the Village still looks immensely like the Army hospital it once was. Thirty-three miles lie between it and Cambridge, which means almost three hours of commuting each day and $17.95 out of the family exchequer each month. And the rents are thought by everyone to be too high.

October 16, 1968: Harvard Faculty Deficit May Reach $2.4 Million

The Faculty of Arts and Sciences may run a $2.4 million operating deficit--the largest in its history--in 1968-69, Dean Ford reported at yesterday's Faculty meeting.

Ford's budget report also showed that the Faculty had a surplus of more than $1 million for 1967-68, even though Ford had predicted a deficit last year.

The unexpected surplus last year, Ford said, came from "a better recovery than we had anticipated." But the 1968-69 budget will be much harder to rescue from its projected deficit than last year's was, he added.

October 20, 1972: West Germany To Air Movie About Harvard

A documentary on Harvard for German educational television, entitled "A Harvard Love-Hate Story" and focusing on Lowell House, is currently under production.

The camera is currently following Winthrop G. Minot '73, through seminar, lecture, library and sports scenes.

The film, which is directed by Christopher Cortis of Great Britain, is a Franco-German co-production sponsored by the United States Information Agency for Bavarian TV in Munich. It will be shown approximately 12 times in England, France and Germany, beginning in late spring next year.

October 19, 1981: Thousands Flock to 'Head'

"It was a day for topsiders and the windblown look. The water was rough and the beer was smooth," Mary Niehaus of Smith College said yesterday, and that pretty much summed up Sunday at the 17th annual Head-of-the-Charles Regatta.

From the discarded beer kegs and the cars blaring music to the people dancing on Weeks Footbridge and the amateur photographers, it was clear that many of the spectators at the river were there more for the atmosphere than for an intense interest in rowing.

Perched precariously atop the railing of the Larz Anderson Bridge or stretched out over blankets on the banks of the Charles, the spectators jockeyed for choice vantage points.

"This is the big New England college reunion," Charlotte Smith, a graduate of Williams College, said.

—Compiled by Nicholas P. Fandos

House LifeStudent LifeFASMen's CrewBudgetsHistoryUniversity FinancesArchivesMarried Undergrads

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.