Harvard Today: October 24, 2014

•
By Katherine L Borrazzo

Good morning, Harvard! You can breathe a big sigh of relief, because it’s finally Friday! Here are some things we’re looking forward to catching up on this weekend:

Sleep (quality time with your beloved bed)

TV shows recorded on Philo (um, can we please talk about Homeland? #suspense)

Readings (ugh)

Exercise (or going to the MAC to watch free cable, am I right?)

Hanging out with friends (especially when you haven’t seen your friends beyond the walls of Lamont or the dining hall for the past five days)

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
Today there is going to be a high of 55 degrees and a 40% chance of rain! But the good news is that the rest of the weekend is going to be really nice, and by really nice we mean sunny, zero percent chance of rain, and highs in the 60s!

IN THE D-HALL
Lunch:
Herb Crusted Pollack
Roast Beef Panini
Seitan Tostadas
Golden Nuggets

Dinner:
Hoisin Glazed Salmon
Pork Dumplings
Tofu Vegetable Lo Mein
Egg Fried Rice

ON FLYBY
1) FOP Leaders on How Taylor Swift Can Get Out of the Woods: FOP lays down the law for Tswift.

2) How to be Harvard for Halloween: Choose your pick– a Lamonster or Sexy Securitas?

IN THE NEWS
1) Lamont, Cabot Libraries Introduce Self-Checkout: “Lamont and Cabot libraries, two of the busiest libraries on campus, introduced on Monday self-checkout machines as an alternative to manual checkout by library staff, aimed at increasing accessibility and enhancing the experience of library users.”

2) New Initiative May Be 'Game-Changer' for Public Service Recruiting: “Seniors interested in a career in public service will now be able to meet potential employers in a structured on-campus recruiting process—similar to that used by elite private companies—at Harvard’s first Public Service Recruiting Day on Nov. 14.”

3) UC Ups Club Sports Funding But Alleges Athletic Dept. Cuts: “Despite a near 60 percent increase in the number of club sports that applied for Undergraduate Council funding this semester, the Council is expected to, on average, fund organizations at higher rates than last year.”

EVENTS
Cheer on Women's Volleyball at the MAC tonight at 7 p.m. against Dartmouth! Go Crimson!

The Harvard Opportunes and the Harvard Fallen Angels are having an acapella jam tonight called Angels and Demopps: Eternal Jamnation at 7:30 p.m. in Sanders! Tickets are $8 for students and $10 for the public.

The Visiting Director's Program is putting on Little Murders this weekend! It's on tonight and tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. on the Loeb Main Stage and tickets are $8 for students and $12 for the public.

TLA is having its Annual Halloween BAT Improv Show on Saturday at 8 p.m. in the Lowell Bell Tower!

PHOTO OF THE DAY
A student tries out Lamont's new self-checkout system on Thursday afternoon, designed to speed up the checkout process and allow librarians to focus on responding to students' questions.

On CampusStudent LifeHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.