Harvard Today: October 6, 2014
Happy Monday! In case you’re upset that the weekend is over, you’re swamped with midterms and papers, and that you have another week of unending work after this one ends, here’s some news to hopefully make you smile a little! Last week, two South Korean students created a boat of 160 unopened potato chip bags and successfully paddled across the Han River in an effort to prove a point that there’s too much air in a bag of chips! I mean, can we talk about all the times we’ve put the effort into going down to Lamont Cafe at 3 a.m. to get some chips from the vending machine and end up opening a bag of air (#rude)?! I think it’s safe to say though that they’ve provided us with some inspiration for getting through the stressful week ahead!
IN THE ATMOSPHERE
The weather’s going to be nice today– shocker much? It’s going to be sunny and warm with a high of 68 degrees! Can we all wish for this weather to continue forever because we’re seeing semblances of the cold and miserable winter from last year and it’s really depressing??
IN THE D-HALL
Chicken Breast with Tomato Basil Salsa
Pork Sausage Sub with Peppers and Onions
Lentil Chili with Corn
Coconut Curry Chicken
Multigrain Penne with Basil Pesto and Shrimp
Tofu, Broccoli and Walnut Stir Fry
1) Trending: Netflix Will Spoil Everything For You: A website with spoilers for different shows and movies on Netflix, aka Sparknotes for things we actually care about?!
2) Blue Cheese Burgers Are Not Good For You: Ugh please, tell me something I don’t know– but seriously keep telling me so I don’t reach for the Blondie Brownies with how many calories?!?!
3) VP v. VP: Biden v. Goffard Comparisons: A comparison of their commutes, crises they both deal with, and most important of all, their selfie game.
IN THE NEWS
1) Death Threat Investigation Continues as New Email Evidence Surfaces: “Saturday’s message expressed regret for the original threat. The sender asked that recipients ‘please feel sorry for the terrible news that my brother has written to my email address please forgive me for the unpleasant message.’”
2) Pussy Riot Criticizes Campus Ban on Alumnus: “Two members of the punk rock protest group Pussy Riot penned an open letter to University President Drew G. Faust on Saturday criticizing a ban from University property issued by the Harvard University Police Department against alumnus and activist Roman J. Torgovitsky.”
3) Archaeology Fair Sheds Light on Harvard of Yore: “Students, faculty members, and visitors dug in Harvard Yard and took a three-dimensional virtual reality tour of famous monuments in Giza, Egypt, among other activities, at the Amazing Archaeology Fair on Sunday.”
The OCS is holding an information session today on foundations and fundraising from 4 to 5 p.m. at 54 Dunster Street. Learn more about this field and the best ways to get started in it!
The IOP is holding a discussion with Professor Richard Cooper called Climate Change on the International Stage at 5 p.m. today in Emerson 104. There will be free pizza!
Considering going out to Boston for dinner tonight? Check out Copley Place’s Boston Fashion Week 2014! Enjoy food, drinks, and fashion shows from high-end retailers as well as student designers! It’ll be from 6 to 8 p.m. at Center Court.
PHOTO OF THE DAY
Cristina S. Parajon '18 and Santiago Pardo '16 dig for buried artifacts in Harvard Yard. The Archaeology Fair was held by the Peabody Museum and the Semitic Museum on Oct. 5, 2014.