Harvard Today: February 10, 2014

•
Harvard Today
Harvard Today

Happy happy Monday! Whether your weekend was spent preparing for and recovering from an abruptly ended Freshman Formal or (hopefully), doing literally anything and everything else, we hope you're feeling somewhat ready for the week ahead.

By Matt O. Ricotta

The semester seems to be moving ridiculously fast. You may feel like you're just starting with school, but yesterday Lowell House released a preview for their 2014 Housing Day video: Drunk in Lowell. The other houses had better step up their game soon!

IN THE ATMOSPHERE
A 30% chance of snow flurries in the morning, followed by a cloudy afternoon. With a high of 30 degrees, seems like winter as usual. It’s sad how the snow gets so old, so fast.

IN THE D-HALLS
Lunch:
Chiang Mai Pork Curry
Sweet and Sour Chicken with Pineapple
Pepper, Tomato, Black Bean and Monterey Jack Quesadillas

Dinner:
Roast Turkey Breast
Saigon Bamboo Tofu
Vegetarian Penne Bolognese

IN THE NEWS
1) Cambridge City Councillor Leland Cheung is running for Lieutenant Governor. Cheung, a graduate of Harvard Kennedy School, has spent four years on the City Council, during which time he has passed more legislation than any other councillor.
2) Neil Patrick Harris accepts the Pudding Pot for Hasty Puddings’ Man of the Year. Harris had to complete a series of tasks before receiving the award, and was then presented with a wig, a bra, and heels. He is the first openly gay man to receive the award.

EVENTS
If the Olympics have gotten you all interested in sports again, the 62nd Annual Beanpot Tournament continues as Men’s Ice Hockey plays Boston University at TD Garden at 5 p.m. Maybe it’ll be a Miracle On Ice-style victory. Probably not, but you shouldn’t miss it, just in case!

B.J. Novak ‘01 will be at the Harvard Book Store on tour for his new book, One More Thing: Stories And Other Stories. The sold-out event is at 6 p.m., but the writer and star of The Office will also be doing a public book signing from 12:30-1:30 p.m. Get there early to get in line!

Harvard Law School's John Hamilton Houston Institute on Race and Justice will be hosting a screening of the film Hate Crimes in the Heartland at 5:30 p.m. at 1585 Mass Ave. The screening will be followed by a discussion with the film’s director, Rachel Lyon, and Harvard Law School professor Charles J. Ogletree.

PHOTO OF THE DAY
Hasty Pudding's 2014 Man of the Year, the one and only Neil Patrick Harris, sure earned his award this weekend as he duelled with a dementor in order to secure his "Pudding Pot." And they say people will do crazy things to get recognition from Harvard! We just hope our beloved Harv-warts picks up on this idea and that we can expect to see Transfiguration classes offered next semester...

Flyby CampusHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.