Harvard Today: October 1, 2015

After a slow start to the season, the Harvard women’s soccer team started off Ivy League play on the right foot with a 2-0 victory over Penn.
After a slow start to the season, the Harvard women’s soccer team started off Ivy League play on the right foot with a 2-0 victory over Penn. By Connie Yan

Today is Thursday, October 1. Congratulations on making it past September. On this day in 1931, Spain adopted women’s suffrage. October 1 is also a Nigerian dark psychological thriller film that came out in 2014– scary.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

There’s a 20% chance of precipitation today, and it’s going to be colder than the day before, with a high of 62 and a low of 45.

IN THE D-HALL

Lunch:
Spicy Chicken Stir-fry with Peapods
Vegetarian Banh Mi
Brown Jasmine Rice

Dinner:
Community Night - Ground Turkey
Home Made Fish Cakes
Vegan Casserole with Cashew Cream Sauce

ON FLYBY

PSA: Maharaja Is Open Again
But now, the restaurant is open again for lunch and dinner every day of the week- we highly recommend the lunch buffet because when you have the choice between unlimited food and limited food, you always choose the former.

IN THE NEWS

Two Years In, FAS Campaign Focuses on Struggling Priorities
Two years into the public phase of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences’s capital campaign, Dean Michael D. Smith said the fundraising drive will begin to focus its efforts especially on priorities that are falling behind—House renewal and funding for new teaching techniques.

Harvard Joins Coalition To Offer Common App Alternative
The federation of colleges, which calls itself the Coalition for Access, Affordability, and Success, announced Monday that it will make an alternative platform with college planning tools available to prospective students in January 2016.

Music Department Embarks on Concentration Redesign
As its number of undergraduate concentrators drops by nearly half over the past six years, Harvard’s Music Department is embarking on a major redesign of its undergraduate curriculum, a step faculty and students say is necessary to keep pace with broader changes in the field and continue to attract new students.

After Critique, College Reevaluates Hall Common Rooms
Undergraduates are critical of the hallway common rooms featured in recent House renovations at the expense of private space, prompting the College to incorporate feedback to tweak upcoming construction plans for its expansive House renewal project.

ON SPORTS

Men’s, Women’s Hockey Crack Top 10 in Preseason Polls
According to U.S. College Hockey Online’s preseason rankings released Monday, the Crimson icemen will open the year ranked No. 8 in the country. Meanwhile, less than a year removed from a national championship game, the women’s team nabbed the No. 4 spot in last week’s USCHO and USA Hockey Magazine polls.

Lindsey Racks Up 10 Tackles, Return TD in Rout of Brown
It’s hard to stand out on a team with a 16-game winning streak. It’s hard to stand out on a defense that ranked first in the FCS in points allowed last year. And it’s certainly hard to stand out on a night when six different teammates scored as part of a 53-27 rout against a conference foe. But last Saturday, senior linebacker Jacob Lindsey did all three.

EVENTS

Candy Crowley, IOP Fellow and former chief political correspondent at CNN, is holding her second study group “Why Do Candidates Run?” from 4-5:30 p.m. in the IOP L166.

Brent Colburn, IOP Fellow and former Communications Director of Obama’s reelection campaign, is holding his second study group “So Now You’ve Won” from 4-5:30 in the IOP Faculty Dining Room.

The Harvard Foundation is having a discussion with Nikki Haley, Governor of South Carolina, in the PBHA Building at 4 p.m.

The JFK Jr. Forum is hosting a conversation with Larry Summers on the challenge of inclusion in the Forum at 6 p.m.

Flyby BlogHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.