Harvard Today: December 2, 2015

•
Students stand during a moment of silence at the end of the AIDS Day vigil on Tuesday night.
Students stand during a moment of silence at the end of the AIDS Day vigil on Tuesday night. By Helen Y. Wu

Hi Harvard, hope the studying is going well. There are a mere 29 days left in this year. On this day in 1988, Benazir Bhutto was sworn in as Prime Minister of Pakistan, becoming the first woman to head the government of an Islam-dominated state.

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

Get ready for some more rain, with highs of 50 and lows of 46.

IN THE D-HALL

Lunch:

Popcorn Chicken

Salmon Burger with Fresh Spinach

Black Bean Cake

Dinner:

Lemon Crusted Catch of the Day

Roast Pork with Peppercorn Sauce

Scheherazade Casserole

ON FLYBY

Freshmen on Their Last BoardPlus Swipe

The last BoardPlus swipe: a momentous occasion indeed, and one documented by Flyby.

Overheard on the Late Night Shuttle

No juicy gossip, but still a peek into the life of average Harvard students riding the shuttle.

IN THE NEWS

At Meeting, Law School Grapples With Race Relations

Facing a group of expectant students in a campus lecture hall on Monday, Harvard Law School Dean Martha L. Minow did her best to mollify students who have called on her to improve campus race relations, demands that intensified after a racially-charged incident shook the school two weeks ago.

Amidst Conversations on Race, House Masters Debate Title

The masters of Harvard’s undergraduate residential Houses are discussing changing their shared title—one that some students criticize as associated with slavery and Harvard College Dean and Cabot House Master Rakesh Khurana says makes him personally uncomfortable.

Deaf Students Utilize Resources, But Still Face Barriers

As a student with a cochlear implant, a device that replaces the function of the damaged inner ear, Westley “West” A. Resendes ’12 originally came to Harvard identifying as a “Hearing person.”

EVENTS

The Student Labor Action Movement is having a HUDS Solidarity Speak-Out with workers, students, and community members organizing to protect fair and affordable healthcare at Harvard. This will take place in the Phillips Brooks House Parlor Room at 8 p.m.

There will be a community conversation with Kevin Allred called “Politicizing Beyonce” discussing the political layers in Beyonce’s music around race, gender, and sexuality. This will take place in Sever 113 at 8 p.m.

Flyby BlogHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.