Harvard Today: April 2, 2015

Harvard President Drew G. Faust, left, and Leon Wieseltier, a visiting professor at Harvard Law School, discuss higher education, intellectualism, and the shake-up of the New Republic magazine.

Harvard President Drew G. Faust, left, and Leon Wieseltier, a visiting professor at Harvard Law School, discuss higher education, intellectualism, and the shake-up of the New Republic magazine. By Zorigoo Tugsbayar

Happy Thursday, Harvard! Hope you had a great April Fool’s Day, and that you saw some great pranks being played on unsuspecting fools. In case you didn’t, there’s a fun recap of goofy internet pranks here rounded up by CNN. They just might be silly enough to give you enough good cheer to get you through ’til the weekend.

IN THE D-HALL

Lunch: 

Chicken Parmesan

Grilled Cheddar Sandwich with Tomato and Red Onion

Indonesian Stir Fry with Tempeh

Dinner: 

Chicken Florentine

Salisbury Steak

Grape and Mozzarella Pizza

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

We’re being graced with another day of great weather here in the always lovely Cambridge. Although it’s going to be cloudy for most of the day, temperatures are supposed to reach a scorching 57º by mid afternoon.

ON FLYBY

1) PSA: Advising Fortnight A breakdown of the “legitimate” reasons for Fortnight for those of us who have been to the events for the free food.

2) Five Questions You’ve Got About Allston, Answered — Wondering what all the buzz about Allston is about? Read up!

IN THE NEWS

1) Khuranas Will Stay on As Housemasters “Nine months into his leadership of Harvard's flagship school, Dean of the College Rakesh Khurana plans to continue serving as co-master of Cabot House. Khurana said Tuesday that he has transferred the time he previously spent on teaching and research at the Business School to duties associated with his deanship.”

2) Malik Named Permanent Leverett House Dean “Dean of Student Life Stephen Lassonde announced in an email Wednesday that Bilal A. Malik will become the new Leverett House resident dean after serving as the acting dean in Leverett for the past two semesters.”

3) Panel Discusses Gender Gap in the Harvard Math Department “Female mathematicians discussed ways to alleviate the potential barriers facing women in math at the College at a panel discussion, which was organized by the Harvard Undergraduate Mathematics Association on Wednesday evening.”

4) Harvard Moves To Open Three New Offices Abroad “Harvard has authorized the formation of three new international offices in Cape Town, Beijing, and Mumbai, with each office in a different stage of development, according to Vice Provost for International Affairs Jorge I. Domínguez.”

5) Total Cost To Attend College Will Surpass $60,000 “The total cost of attending Harvard College will break $60,000 for the first time in its history. Including tuition, room, board, and other fees, the cost will increase 3.5 percent to $60,659 for the 2015-2016 academic year.”

EVENTS

Online Small Business Loans — A discussion at 11:45 a.m. on whether these loans should be regulated in Bell Hall at the Kennedy School.

Organ Recital — A recital played on the Flentrop Organ in Adolphus Busch Hall at 12:15 p.m.

The Courage to Develop the World — Ljubica Nedelkoska of Harvard Kennedy School's Center for International Development will be speaking about sustainable sport industries that can lead to international growth at 4:30 p.m. in Holden Chapel.

Jack’s Abby — One of the founders of Jack’s Abby (a local microbrewery) will be speaking with students about starting small businesses at 6 p.m, in Queen’s Head.

Justice in an Era of Mass Imprisonment — Bryan Stevenson of the Equal Justice Initiative will be speaking at 6 p.m. in the JFK, Jr. Forum.

The Last Five Years — A musical centered around love, success, and failure at 7:30 p.m. in the Adams Pool Theatre. Email lastfiveyearsharvard@gmail.com to reserve tickets.

Student LifeFlyby BlogHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.