Harvard Today: April 9, 2015

A New York Times reporter asks a question to CIA Director John O. Brennan regarding economic sanctions, politics, and the nuclear weapons program in the Islamic State of Iran and the impact of sanctions relief on the framework deal reached between the U.S. and Iran last week.

By Y. Kit Wu

Happy Thursday, Harvard! If you need a little push to help finish out this week, just remember there are only three (oh my goodness!!!) weeks left until reading period! We’re almost at the end of the semester! There’s just enough time to fit in another midterm or two before we have to start worrying about finals.

IN THE D-HALL

Lunch: 

Alu Turkey Keema

Ham and Swiss Sandwich on Rye

Multigrain penne Pasta with Fresh Vegetables & White Beans

Dinner: 

Beef Meatballs in Marinara Sauce

Chicken Piccatta

Creamy Chilaquile Casserole

Vegan “Meat”balls

IN THE ATMOSPHERE

It’s going to be about 40º and cloudy all day, with a fair amount of wind. It’s not quite time to pack up your winter coat.

ON FLYBY

1) The New CVS Next Door: A Review: We have the lowdown on the new CVS– you know you no longer want to cross the street to get to the other CVS now.

IN THE NEWS

1) Jury Finds Tsarnaev Guilty on Marathon Bombings Charges: “A federal jury found Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev guilty Wednesday on a slate of charges in connection with the April 2013 Boston Marathon bombings, including many that carry the death penalty.”

2) Harvard Reaches Gender Parity in Junior Faculty Hires: “Harvard’s total number of junior faculty hires has reached gender parity across the University for the first time ever, according to Senior Vice Provost for Faculty Development and Diversity Judith D. Singer, amid what she called “a conscious effort on the part of the University” to increase faculty diversity.”

3) Former UN Security Council President Talks China: “Former United Nations Security Council president and Singaporean diplomat Kishore Mahbubani argued that the U.S. needs to begin considering a world in which China is the primary superpower at the John F. Kennedy Jr. Forum’s annual Albert H. Gordon lecture Wednesday night.”

4) Law School Admissions ‘Actively Preferences’ Work Experience: “In 2009, 40 percent of Harvard Law School’s entering class, according to data provided the school’s Admissions Office, arrived directly from their senior year of college, maybe even still sporting the odd T-shirt from last year’s big rivalry football game.”

5) Harvard-Allston Task Force Discusses Housing, Construction: “The Harvard-Allston Task Force met on Wednesday to discuss the North Allston/North Brighton Housing Stabilization Program, ongoing construction and demolitions at the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences complex and Charlesview apartments, and the renewal of Everett Street.”

ON FM

1) Scene and Heard: Piper Kerman: “So why did I choose to go hear Piper Kerman, author of the book “Orange is the New Black,” speak on the busy Monday night of March 30? To be completely honest, I just wanted to get my newly purchased copy of the book signed. Luckily, I got much more out of it than just a signed book.”

2) FM Imagines: Food Fight Fortnight: “FDO: Stop trying to make Advising Fortnight happen. It’s not going to happen. Stop handing out hundreds of glossy flyers to freshman in Annenberg—let’s be real, they just throw them into the recycling bin outside the door, anyway.”

3) Breaking Passover: “...I scoped out some of the best places to grab a meal once Passover is over.”

4) Grad but Not Gone"Graduate boards are groups made up of Harvard College alumni who voluntarily take on oversight roles for specific clubs located on the undergraduate campus. Grad boards often work closely with undergraduate organizations’ leadership, though the extent of their influence varies from group to group."

EVENTS

i3 Startup Showcase and Awards Reception — Join the semifinalists for the end of the i3 student startup competition! 6 to 9 p.m. at the Faculty Club.

Egg Waffle Study Break — Stop by Grays Common Room at 7 p.m. for the Harvard Hong Kong Society’s study break.

GHOST — GHOST is being put on in the Adams Pool Theatre tonight at 7:30 p.m. Email ghostinthepool@gmail.com to reserve tickets.

Hamlet — Come see Hamlet at the Loeb Drama Center at 8 p.m. Tickets are $8 for students.

Mental Health Documentary Screening — SMHL and guest John Tessitore of the JCK Foundation will be hosting a presentation and discussion about mental health at 9 p.m. in Emerson 105.

PHOTO OF THE DAY

Flyby BlogHarvard Today

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.