This Week at Harvard: Living for the Weekend

•
Newbury Street, a Boston favorite for its shops, also boasts a variety of architecturally appealing town houses.

If you’re anything like us, you are enjoying this brief reprieve from the sweltering temperatures over the past few weeks. Many of you Harvard Summer School students are coming up on your final exams, so for the sake of keeping your noses to the grindstone, we’ve focused our events on weekend activities we can all look forward to after the work week.

Shakespeare in the Courtyard
Thursday at 6:30 p.m. | Museum of Fine Arts

It sometime seems like the summer of Shakespeare—and for good reason! This week finds the Commonwealth Shakespeare Company Apprentice Program putting on a production of Cymbeline, a cinderella-esque tale of a young girl’s conflict with an evil stepmother and, according to a description on the event’s Facebook, a “gender-bent expedition to a war between nations.”

Sounds like a good excuse to extricate yourself out of the pile of textbooks littering your room and head on over to the Museum of Fine Arts’ Calderwood Courtyard. Did we mention that the event is free?

First Fridays: White Hot Party
Friday at 5 p.m. | Institute of Contemporary Art/Boston

We love a good summer themed party. This Friday, dress up in your favorite linen ensemble and head down to the Institute of Contemporary Art/Boston for their annual waterfront white party. Dance the night away to DJ That Somebody on their beautiful Boston Harbor boardwalk and soak in the August breezes. The event is 21+ and costs $15.

5th Annual Boston Seafood Festival
Sunday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. | Historic Boston Fish Pier

Though the New England Lobster Bake may be sold out, the Boston Fisheries Foundation is throwing down on at the Historic Boston Fish Pier this weekend to bring together several vendors severing the best Boston seafood. For Harvard students looking for a way to get away from that good old dining hall swai, then this is the event for you. Unfortunately, it’s not free, but you can grab tickets on the event’s website.

By Barbara Carvalho

Open Newbury Street
Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. | Newbury Street

This Sunday, Newbury Street—one of the best shopping areas in Boston—will be completely devoid of automobile traffic, in a new initiative the city is rolling out. For one day, Newbury Street pedestrians can explore the restaurants and clothing stores without having to worry about an incensed Boston driver threatening their lives with caustic driving. The street will be car-free from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Flyby Front

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.