Burst the Bubble: 10/4-10/6

By Chyi-Dean Shu

We’ve been on campus for just over a month now, and cabin fever is starting to kick in. Whether you’ve been coasting in pre-midterm paradise, getting smacked down by a rough test, or just want somewhere fun to take your friends after Harvard v. Howard this weekend, we’ve got you covered!

Friday:

SoWa First Friday @ 450 Harrison Ave

Looking for an art museum date that isn’t on campus? Check out SoWa’s First Friday! The artist collective opens its doors to the public for free every first Friday of the month from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., boasting more than 80 artist exhibitions. To get there, take the Red Line toward Braintree or Ashmont until you reach the Broadway stop. From there, walk westbound on Traveler Street and take a left on Harrison Avenue and you’re there! You’ll pass a graffiti art project on the highway underpass on the way, so be sure to stop and take some artsy pics. Chinatown is also a quick walk away, if you’re feeling like a post-gallery ramen or boba run!

Saturday:

Food Truck Festival @ Rose Kennedy Greenway

If you’re looking to end your week with a nonstop stream of food trucks and an open market at a park that traverses downtown Boston, look no further. From 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., the Rose Kennedy Greenway is having a food truck festival! It’s also conveniently situated between Quincy Market, Faneuil Hall, and Seaport, so make sure to check off a few touristy items from your bucket list while you’re there (like the Glossier pop-up shop — Saturday is the last day)! The Greenway is a bit of a hike from campus, but trust us, it’s worth it. Hop on the Red Line from the Square headed toward Braintree or Ashmont, and take the train until you get to South Station. From there, it’s a short walk up Atlantic Avenue until you run into the Greenway!

Sunday:

Somerville Flea @ Davis Square

Don’t have enough time to stray too far from campus? Check out the Somerville Flea Market at the highly underrated Davis Square this weekend from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.! Just about a mile from the Quad (or two T stops from Harvard Square), it’s the best low-commitment way to get off campus. It’s the perfect stop for some unique dorm decor or simply some relaxing people watching. While you’re there, swing by Davis Square’s thrift stores to update your winter wardrobe in an environmentally and wallet-friendly way, or grab a meal at Rosebud’s and enjoy the classic diner aesthetic!

With all of these great events, we implore you to get off campus for a minute and remember what life outside of Harvard is like! Go forth and burst that Harvard bubble!

BostonFlyby BlogFlyby CampusFlyby Front FeatureAround Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.