Friendly Reminder: PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER.

By Courtesy of GIPHY

We get it. We’re all trudging through the nebulous five weeks that constitute midterm season. We can barely do readings, let alone function as human beings. But it’s been two months now since we moved in, and we’re already well into spooky season. There are certain things that we (including you, yes, you!) just have to get done. It’s tough to keep track of everything, so we’ve ever-so-helpfully distilled all those tasks into a to-do list for your convenience. Let us help you help yourself.

Get your shots!!!

Stop right now and go to the HUHS website. Sign up for a flu shot and a bivalent booster. I got both of mine on the same day, and it didn’t even suck that much. I got myself Panera afterward because I was very very brave. Have you made your appointment yet? You have to do it by mid-November. Do it. Do it now.

Wash your sheets.

Hopefully, you’ve done this already, but we’re not here to shame you. It’ll be quick. Make it a party with all your suitemates. Help each other with your duvet covers. Don’t forget your pillowcase!

Wash your water bottle.

“But how can water make a bottle dirty?” MOLD. Think of the mold. Just get some hot water and dish soap up in there. It’s possible to wash out the grime while preserving the emotional support.

Take out your trash and recycling.

You do not want a readily-available mouse house in your dorm, and trash does not spark joy. Get to that trash room. And remember to separate your recycling!

Clean your suite.

Yes, this includes your bathroom. Use that complimentary toilet brush. Borrow a vacuum. Put on some music and have an Amy Adams in “Enchanted” moment. Is that persistent cough really the “frat flu,” or is it just your dorm room covered in a thick layer of dust?

Figure out your plan for winter break.

Do you need to book a flight/bus/train? Arrange for winter housing? Beg your mega-rich friend to let you visit their chalet in the Alps? Get on that.

Figure out your Halloween costume(s).

You have a little over a week to figure it out, and especially group costumes take forever to decide on. Get to the Garment District before all the good stuff is gone! More content on this coming, but Mario, Sexy Cat, and the Scooby Gang are always good backup options.

Check your mailbox.

If you, like me, did not realize that the upperclassmen houses don’t necessarily send you an email when they receive your paper mail like the first-year mail center did, then you probably need to do this one. Who knows what your mailbox has in store for you? I had an absentee ballot and a letter from my grandma. Speaking of…

Make sure you’re registered to vote!

Do this one ASAP. Midterms (the nationally important ones, not your overblown p-set) are coming up. Figure out who you’re voting for, order an absentee ballot if you need one, and get ready for November 8. What’s the point of being a Future Leader of the World if you aren’t doing your civic duty? International students, you can skip this one. Consider it repayment for all that time you spend on planes.

Call your parents/guardians/grandparents/siblings/friends from home.

Believe it or not, just because you’re on campus doesn’t mean you’ve been erased from your loved ones’ memories. All it takes is a 15-minute slot in the Gcal and a quick few taps on your phone. Obviously, use your discretion, but make sure to stay in touch with the people with whom you want to stay in touch.

You can knock these all out in an afternoon. And these are great because they’re a way for you to procrastinate studying with something arguably more productive in the grand scheme of things. You can’t get work done if you’re buried in your own filth and/or laid up in Mount Auburn because your water bottle is poisoning you. Take care of yourself!

Flyby BlogFlyby CampusHow to Harvard

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.