Year in Sports 2024

Cooper's Next Big Hit: The Harvard Mixtape

Soccer Star Hannah Bebar Commits to Duke For Last Year of NCAA Eligibility

After finishing her senior season for the Harvard women’s soccer team, midfielder Hannah Bebar wasn't ready to hang up her cleats. So she'll be taking her talents to Durham next year.

‘A Game of Inches’: Football’s Thrilling Triple-OT Victory Against Penn Wins Game of the Year

In a year of sports brimming with standout performances and breakout stars, it’s not easy to coin a single contest as “Game of the Year.”

‘Everybody’s Kind of Blue’: Harvard’s Last-Second Loss to Brown is the Heartbreak of the Year

The Harvard football team’s loss against nemesis Yale, which resulted in the team having to split the Ivy League title three ways, might seem like an apt choice for the Heartbreak of the Year. But the football team still shared a slice of the conference title. The men’s basketball team wasn’t so lucky.

Harvard Avoids Heartbreak in Westport, Bests Bucknell 13-12

Grit. Determination. A desire for victory. These traits are what define a team that, against all odds, can find success. However, an additional attribute aided Frisbie Family Head Coach Gerry Byrne and his men’s lacrosse team in its comeback victory against the Bucknell Bison earlier this season: preparation.

A New Era: How Harvard Field Hockey Went from No. 60 to No. 6 in 10 Years

On a gloomy Friday afternoon in November 2021, then-No. 12 Harvard field hockey took to the field in Ann Arbor, Mich. for a gritty battle against Northwestern in the Final Four of the NCAA tournament.

50 Years In, Harvard Women’s Tennis Finds Glimpses of Glory

Excellence in sports is not something that comes overnight. For the Harvard women’s tennis team, it has taken almost the entirety of the team’s five-decade existence to prove itself in the competitive landscape of both the Ivy League and NCAA.

‘One Match at a Time’: Men’s Tennis Methodically Works Its Way to Glory

Winning a third consecutive Ivy League title (the 33rd in program history), dominating on the court, and showing great promise for the future, the Harvard men’s tennis team has earned itself the honor of Team of the Year after a season of triumphs.

Heartbeat Heroes: Varsity Team Managers

Often considered “the heartbeat of the team,” team managers play an integral role in varsity sports. The Crimson sat down with four managers from Harvard’s basketball, lacrosse, and squash programs to learn more about the position.

One-and-Fun: With Season for the Ages, Malik Mack Wins Male Rookie of Year

Malik Mack loves to operate under pressure. And many times this season, Harvard men’s basketball Head Coach Tommy Amaker has asked Mack to do just that, putting the ball in his hands and trusting him to make the right plays when it matters most.

Precocious on the Piste: Fencer Jessica Guo Wins Female Rookie of the Year

Despite being just 18 years old, freshman fencer Jessica Guo is no stranger to competitive glory on the piste.

Letter From the Chairs: An Olympic Year in Sports

The 2023-2024 athletic year has been defined by one word: Olympic. Marked by a slew of national championships, Ivy League titles, and individual player honors, Harvard’s 42 Division I teams placed themselves firmly within a niche of excellence this past season. And that elite level of competition will only be heightened as the Crimson is set to be represented by a contingent of athletes at the highest level this summer: the 2024 Paris Olympics.

Fantastic Phil: Conigliaro Wins Male Athlete of the Year

It is not uncommon for dozens of Phil Conigliaro’s biggest fans to pack the Malkin Athletic Center on a Saturday during wrestling season.

Callie Hem, Female Athlete of the Year

Nearing the end of the team’s best season in 10 years, the Harvard women’s lacrosse team is ready for the Ivy League tournament. Holding an impressive 10-4 record, the squad seems to have found its groove. A major part of the Crimson’s success is its powerful offense, as Harvard finished the season with the highest goals per game, assists per game, and percentage of converted shots in the Ivy League. A key piece of the offense, this past season, was senior attacker Callie Hem, who, for her performance this past season, was awarded The Crimson’s title of Female Athlete of the Year.