Penn-Cornell Soccer Snowed Out; Deciding Game Set for Thursday

By Adam Clymer

Saturday's violent snowstorm caused postponement of the Pennsylvania-Cornell soccer game that would have decided the Ivy League title, and the Crimson therefore still leads Penn by half a game.

Originally scheduled for Ithaca, the game will be played in Haverford, Pa., this Thursday at 10:30 a.m. as part of the annual Penn-Cornell Thanksgiving Day festivities.

Although a Penn victory would boost the Quakers into a first place tie with the Crimson, there would be no playoff. Coaches J. Bruce Munro of the Crimson and Charles Scott of Pennsylvania both said yesterday that they favored a playoff, but added that they understood that the Ivy Presidents' Agreement forbade such a game.

Thomas D. Bolles, Director of Athletics, concurred, explaining that the only exception to the rule forbidding playoffs of Ivy League deadlocks were made for basketball, where a league champion must be selected to play in the NCAA tournament.

If Cornell can manage to tie or defeat the Quakers, the Crimson will win an undisputed championship in this first year of Ivy League soccer play. But this seems unlikely, since Cornell is a considerably weaker team and lacks depth. The Big Red has improved in recent weeks, however, and lost only 1 to 0 to Yale in its last previous Ivy game.