Ward Will Pitch at Brown Today As Varsity Tries for EIBL Lead

By Adam Clymer

Ace righthander Andy Ward will pitch against Brown this afternoon in Providence as the Crimson nine seeks to take over undisputed possession of first place in the Eastern League.

The Bruins, with not much more to gain than a spoiler role, could provide the upset of the season, a feat they nearly achieved against Yale, before bowing 1 to 0, to an eighth-inning Eli tally.

A Crimson victory would put the baseball team ahead of Yale, now tied with it for the League lead at seven wins and no losses. Yale is idle today, meeting Dartmouth tomorrow and coming to Cambridge this Saturday for the game which will decide the League title.

This is the last game of the season for Brown, and the Bruins will start their number one hurler, Harry Josephson, whose only loss came against Yale. He has won four games.

Josephson's slants are the main obstacle to the Crimson's eighth League win, for the Brown team is a weak-hitting one. But good fielding and the opportunity to break the Crimson's winning streak could bring the upset-minded Brown nine a victory.

Ward, seeking his sixth consecutive win of the year, has been the mainstay of the Crimson staff all year, and struck out 11 his last time out, when he blanked Dartmouth, 3 to 0, last Wednesday. He leads the Crimson pitching staff with an ERA of 1.09 and with a total f 47 strikeouts.

The Crimson attack will be strengthened by the return of third baseman Den Butters, who missed Saturday's game against Cornell.