Basketball Team Defeated By Orange, 86-65, at IAB

By Adam Clymer

The basketball team eschewed Ivy competition for non-league play last night, and it was a mistake. Syracuse showed the Crimson and 500-odd fans at the Block-house one of the best fast breaks in the East, and combined this style of attack with 45 per cent shooting accuracy to win, 86 to 65.

Toward the end of the first half the first half the Crimson showed signs of making a fight out of the game, and closed the one-time 12 point gap to three. Actually, it could have been only one at the half, but Phil Haughey batted out a Bob Barnett lay-up that was already in, but not through, the cords. The Orange led, 39 to 36, at the half.

This preposterous sort of play was not typical, but some wild passes when the Crimson tried to equal the Orange fast break were nearly as bad. Grossly unperceptive refereeing also detracted from the game, as the officials had their backs to the play or made up rule interpretations as they went along.

The Crimson loss did not result from lack of hustle or poor rebounding. The Crimson took 56 rebounds to 59 for the Orange. Nor was it the poor foul shooting that has marred some games this year; for the Crimson scored on 65 per cent of its free throws. The simple fact is that Syracuse was too good. Not too deep in reserves, the Orange team was able to run hard all the way, and often grabbed a loose ball before the losers knew they'd lost it.

Vince Cohen and Jim Brown sparked the attack, and it was Cohen's two lay-ups at the beginning of the second half that practically wrapped up the game. Fast-breaking on the frequent occasions when they could steal the ball, this duo piled up 36 points between them, with Cohen tallying 19.

For the Crimson, Al Lubetkin, playing his first game of the year, came up with 11 points, but did it the hard way. Twice he converted a pair of fouls after being knocked flat by Brown. Ike Canty was high scorer for the losers with 13, Haughey had 12, Dick Hurley 9, Bob Hastings 8, Riggs and Getch 3 each, and Warren Kantrowitz, Lou Lowenfels and Bob Bowman 2 apiece