Soccer Team Lacks Depth, But Packs Scoring Punch

By Adam Clymer

When considering his Crimson soccer team, the image of an umbrella must come to Bruce Munro's mind. For when he thinks of his team on the field, he can visualize strength all the way across his forward line, and a solid handle at the goal, but the team is very thin through the middle, in the halfbacks and fullbacks.

A more literal umbrella would have come in handy yesterday afternoon. Munro was drenched and even his enthusiasm was dampened as he reported that he had not found what he was looking for in a long scrimmage against Boston University.

Well-Balanced Line

He was looking for unexpected strength in the defense, and especially substitutes, but he did not find it yesterday when the Crimson stumbled through to a 3-3 tie against an inept Terrier eleven.

Admittedly, his first team played but half of the time, but the failure of his reserves was disappointing as they failed to hold a 2-1 edge the regulars had given them.

B.U. is not nearly as good as the teams the Crimson will be facing in the Ivy League, and a sharper performance must be forthcoming if the team is to approach last year's record, or even to get past its two games next week.

Opener With Tufts

The opening contest pits the Crimson against Tufts, and this Jumbo eleven will not be as difficult as the one the football team meets the next Saturday. This should count as a win.

But Amherst on Saturday may provide a different answer, for the Little Three teams are always obstreperous in soccer.

The Ivy League schedule favors the Crimson, but not enough to shake Munro from the belief that Yale will win the title. Last year's co-champion with the Crimson, Penn, has lost heavily through graduation, but still must be considered a threat.

Terrier Tie

A fine and well-balanced line can keep the Crimson a constant scoring threat, provided that the insides do not have to fall back to aid the halfbacks. Captain Grey Hodnett, who led the team with eleven goals last year, will play center forward, since Shad Tubman has left school.

The insides will be Charlie MacVeagh at left and Jim Shue at right. MacVeagh was a regular last season, but Shue still lacks experience. Ken McIntosh will take outside right, and Hank Holmes outside left. MacVeagh and Holmes scored yesterday, as did Robin Magowan, MacVeagh's replacement.

The second line, reading from outside right to outside left, will include Steve Rhoades, Magowan, Barry Russman, Tom Bernheim, and John Hamlin.

Second Halfbacks

Light but cagy Tony Oberschall was the fourth halfback last year, filling in for the frequently injured regulars, and this year he will play center half, flanked by Lou Felstiner on the left and sophomore Marshall Schwartz on the right. Schwartz is a peculiar case, for he has apparently won a starting berth although he never played soccer after the eighth grade.

The second string halfbacks figure to include Al Hoyt and Harry Wexler, but Munro is still uncertain.

Don Beaver, whose speed, anticipation, and tackling frequently made him a standout on defense last year, will play right fullback, and sophomore Chris Provenson, whose injured left foot limited his effectiveness yesterday, will play left fullback. Hank Blohm and Pete Moloy are the substitutes.

Depth in Goal

The team's greatest depth is in the goal, where Elliott Finkelstein is first string, but not too far ahead of Jim Perkins and Arnie Singal. Finkelstein is not a showy net-minder, but has exceptional anticipation and a sure pair of hands, and may well be the outstanding goalie in the Ivy League this year.

Munro is making no predictions, and to do so would be extremely hazardous, for the uneven depth and experience of the team makes its prospects problematical. But the belief here is that the Crimson will certainly make a good record. With fortunate breaks in a few departments, including injuries and sophomores, the team has at least some chance to repeat in the Ivy League.