Thugs Rob Seven M.I.T. Students; Police Arrest Three Local Youths

By Ann Peck

Three local youths were arrested Wednesday night for robbing three M.I.T. students. They may also be booked for car theft and kidnapping.

The students were robbed when they hitch-hiked to the North House Mixer at Radcliffe. Just before the car reached Harvard Square, the driver swerved into a side street and stopped. One boy escaped, but the two other M.I.T. men were forced to get back in the car.

Ask for Money

The hoodlums asked for $1. When they noticed, however, that one student had more money, they took an additional $10. They then released the victims.

When they reached Radcliffe's Holmes Hall, the boys called Cambridge police, who asked them to come to the station. At about 11:30 p.m. the police captured three suspicious townies, and the M.I.T. students identified them as their attackers.

During the evening another four M.I.T. students were robbed. They were also called to the station, where they said that the same thugs had robbed them on the M.I.T. campus earlier in the evening.

The three boys may be charged with kidnapping, which consists of "holding someone against his will." This is punishable by ten years imprisonment.

Only a day before, seven teenagers attacked three Harvard men on the footbridge near Soldiers Field Road.