Pistol-Toting Duo Robs Cahaly's, Escapes With $300 From Register

By John A. Herfort

Two men held up Cahaly's last night and escaped with $300.

At 10:25 p.m. the pair entered the store. One of the men moved toward the cash register. The other ordered three Harvard students watching the TV at the front of the store to get to the rear. An other, who was buying ice cream, was also ordered to the back.

"I was standing there," one of the eye witnesses related, "when someone said 'Get to the rear of the store.' I looked up to see a dark-complexioned curly-haired man holding a small cocked snub-nosed pistol. He repeated the order, and I walked to the rear past the cash register. Cahaly was opening it for the other man."

The burglars then took the contents of the cash register as well as the bills that were locked below.

In the middle of the holdup an older man entered the store and was also told to get to the rear of the store where he joined the four students ordered there at the beginning of the robbery.

After the cash register had been emptied, the duo told proprietor Raiph Caplied, they hesitated for about 45 seconds, haly to get to the back. After he comand walked out the front entrance on Mt. Auburn St.

Another witness recalled that the robbery took about five minutes. He added that "it didn't seem like a professional job. There were no verbal threats to any of the students." When the robbers first entered the store, the student recalled that "I was sure that their guns were real. But after they left and I thought about it. I wasn't so sure--the revolvers might have been soap carvings."

The same student also stated that "Cahaly seemed more concerned that the students were left alone. He kept running back and forth to make sure that we were at the back of the store."

The one who ordered them to the rear was about 5'10," stocky, about 180 lbs. He had a swarthy complexion with a dark scar on his face. His hair was long, black, greasy, and combed straight back. He wore a tan, zipper poplin jacket.

The other had a lighter complexion and curly, light brown hair. He was about G'1" and 185 lbs, and thinner than his accomplice. He also wore a zipper jacket.