Cagers Top Boston University, 102-92

Brown Scores 36

By Douglas E. Schoen

James Brown made every shot in the book and a few that aren't, leading Harvard to a 102-92 victory over Boston University last night.

Brown hit on a variety of lay-ups, jump shots and tip-ins enroute to scoring a game high of 36 points. At the end of the first half. Brown even made a volleyball tip of an errant Jim Fitzsimmons pass, converting it into a field goal.

Floyd Lewis added 25 points for the Crimson and showed the mobility under the basket that he demonstrated as a sophmore. Lewis scored most of his field goals on tip-ins and lay ups from the low post.

B.U. proved to be a surprisingly tough opponent for the Crimson as they stayed with them through the first half. Harvard's defense was better than it has been in past games during the stanza, but the Crimson got caught up court on a number of occasions, giving the Terriers two-on one and three-on-one breaks.

Five 25-looters

Brown provided the punch for Harvard during the first half hitting on five 25 ft. jumpers in the late minutes. Harvard maintained a two or three point margin until the closing minute when they opened up a seven point margin until the closing minute when they opened up a seven-point lead at the half. During the half the Crimson ran their offensive pattern for the first time this season and it resulted in a number of baskets.

Harvard came out in the second half, behind Brown and Fitzsimmons and opened up an 11 point lead after ten minutes. Harvard had little problem with the B.U. press, which had bothered them earlier in the contest Harvard again had some problems with the press in the final half of the period as B.U. cut the lead as low as seven points at one time. The Crimson stalled in the final two minutes and held on for an eventual ten-point victory.

Numerous Turnovers

Center James Garvin and forward Ken Boyd led the way for the Terriers scoring 25 and 21 points respectively. The B.U. guards had trouble throughout the game getting the ball to Garvin and Boyd and committed numerous turnovers.

Harvard again was plagued by an inordinantly high number of turnovers as they committed 33 during the contest. The Crimson are now averaging 35 mistakes a game.

Captain Marshall Sanders got into foul trouble early in the contest and only scored four points. Tony Jenkins slipped somewhat from his 24.5 average but still managed to throw in 13 points.

The Crimson fastbreak operated smoothly throughout the game but play was still ragged at times. Coach Bob Harrison refused to comment on any aspect of the team's performance after the game.