Swim Team Will Meet Brown In Providence This Saturday

By James W. Reinig

The Harvard swimming armada will sail up Narraganset Bay to Providence on Saturday for an aquatic attack on Brown scheduled to begin about 2 p.m.

The swimming Bears have lost all four outings so far this season, including an 80-33 thrashing by mediocre Army and a 75-38 thumping by a greatly improved Navy squad. "We're a little disappointed so far," Brown director of sports information Rod Commons said yesterday. "We didn't figure to beat all those teams, but the Springfield loss (64-49) especially hurt."

Sophomore Peter Campbell, one of the best swimmers on the Bruin squad, is the middle distance star. The school record holder in all three distance events (500, 1000, and 1650 yards), Campbell swam in the NCAA championships held last March.

Butterfly Star

Junior tri-captain Richard Burrows is the best butterfly and individual medley swimmer on the squad. Burrows, whose best events are the 200 butterfly and the 200 and 400 individual medley, swam in the AAU nationals last year.

The sprinting corps, one of the Bruin's strengths, is led by Jan Kaplowitz. "We are really a yoong team," Commons said, "but our sprinters and freestylers are our strong points."

Tanned Team

This will be the first meet for the tanned Harvard swimming team after they returned from training in the Carribean over Christmas vacation. Freshmen and veterans like Franciso "Paco" Canales in freestyle, Duncan Pyle in the backstroke, Ted Fullerton in the breaststroke, and Roger Johannigman and Mike Toal in diving events will be counted on to lead the Crimson squad this weekend.

Harvard swimming coach Ray Essick should not find this one of his tougher meets. "We need a couple years of recruiting before we can compete with teams like Harvard," Commons said.