Faculty Straw Poll Indicates a Preference for Carter; Ford Criticized for Poor Leadership, Economic Policy

By Joseph B. White and Brian L. Zimbler

A majority of 21 Harvard professors contacted in a Crimson straw poll, yesterday support Jimmy Carter's presidential campaign.

Only one professor contacted supported President Ford, although several were undecided or had no comment. One pollee indicated he might support a third-party candidate.

The lone Ford supporter is Hendrick S. Houthakker, Lee Professor of Economics. "I believe in the long run his economic policies will be more successful," Houthakker said yesterday, adding that he had a better idea of Ford's stands on the issues than of Carter's.

Among Carter's more enthusiastic supporters is Hale Champion, financial vice president of Harvard. Unemployment and Ford's "badly handled" economic policies are his main concerns in the election, Champion said yesterday.

"The only time I voted for a Republican, it was a mistake," Champion said, adding that he had not voted for Richard Nixon.

Clear Choice

The "shoddy performance" of the Ford administration and its lack of "concern for doing anything" influenced his support for Carter, Roger D. Fisher '43, professor of Law, said yesterday. The election offers a clear choice between "government that will do something or [one that will] just tread water," he said.

Carter supporter Daniel B. Aaron, professor of English and American Literature, said yesterday he has "a higher opinion of Carter than many." Although somewhat disenchanted by Carter's campaign tactics, Aaron said that the alternative would be "unthinkable." Aaron characterised former Senator Eugene McCarthy's third-party candidacy as "petulant and without much chance."

Other professors indicated somewhat reluctant support for Carter. Michael L. Walzer, professor of Government, said yesterday he will vote for the Democratic candidate "with great reluctance and unhappiness." Walter Jackson Bate, Lowell Professor of Humanities, questioned Carter's qualification for the presidency but said he was "mildly for Carter."

Although McCarthy's candidacy did not receive outright support from any of the pollees, George Wald, Higgins Professor of Biology, said yesterday he was "toying with the idea of a protest vote." When asked if he supported McCarthy, Wald characterized him as a decent, fine man but an "unreliable candidate."

The vice-presidential candidates did influence presidential preferences. While expressing concern about the "screaming patriotism" Carter showed in the second debate, as well as other Carter positions, David Riesman '31, Ford Professor of Social Sciences, said that in the vice presidential contest there was "no question" that he supported Mondale.

Edwin O. Reischauer, University Professor, emphasized his support for Carter and Mondale while Wald reffered to "that hatchet man Dole" as one of the reasons he "shuddered to face the consequences" of a Food victory.

Among those who were undecided or unwilling to reveal their preference in the race were President Bok James Q. Wilson, Shattuck Professor of Government