Stickwomen, UConn Draw, 3-3

Landau Goal Keys Tie With Nationally-ranked Huskies

By Julio R. Varela

Last year, the Harvard field hockey team tied then-defending national champion Connecticut, 1-1, at Soldiers Field. Some called it miraculous. Some said it never could be done again.

But yesterday in rain-soaked Storrs, Conn., the Crimson did it again.

Sophomore Sharon Landau's goal with 16 seconds remaining in regulation play sent the game into overtime, and the Crimson held on for a 3-3 tie with the nationally fourth-ranked Huskies. The double-overtime deadlock improved Harvard's record to 1-2-1. Connecticut still remains unbeaten with a 2-0-2 mark.

With the score tied, 2-2, with eight minutes left in the second half, Connecticut took the lead on a Diane Madel goal. As time ran down in regulation, Landau moved to the right side of the circle and made a crossshot which beat freshman goalie Megan Tiley on the left side of the net.

"I don't know how I could have driven the ball well," Landau said, "because the sticks were slippery. But when I hit it, I knew I drove it well. Even if it didn't go in, I knew someone had a good chance of tipping the ball in."

Due to the rain, the play during the two overtimes was mostly restricted to midfield. But the Harvard defense thwarted eight UConn penalty corners and goalie Denise Katsias blocked three shots to preserve the tie. Katsias finished the day with 14 saves.

"Our defense shutdown [Connecticut]," Katsias said. "They couldn't get off many of their shots."

A major criticism of the Crimson this year has been their inability to play catch-up. In their last two games--losses to Northeastern and Providence--Harvard gave up early goals and could never recover. In yesterday's game, however, all of Harvard's goals came when it was behind in the contest.

As a matter of fact, Tri-Captain Kate Felsen's second goal of the game, which tied the game at two in the second half, occurred exactly one minute after Connecticut's all-time leading scorer and perennial All-America Tracey Fuchs had put the Huskies ahead, 2-1.

"We played with a very high level of intensity," Felsen said, "despite the deluge of rain. We never gave up. If we keep this intensity up, we're going to have a great season."

THE NOTEBOOK: Connecticut outshot Harvard, 20-11, and had 22 total penalty corners, compared to 13 by the Crimson...Yesterday's game ended Harvard's four-game road trip...On Saturday, the stickwomen will host two-time defending Ivy League champion Pennsylvania in Harvard's inaugural Ivy game.