Sweeney's Back for the Bruins

Schoolyard Talk

By Julio R. Varela

Anyone who is a true Harvard hockey fan should be paying attention to the Boston Bruins these days.

If you happened to catch the Bruins last weekend on television, you would have noticed that former Crimson defender Don Sweeney '88 is back on the B's again after spending the beginning of the season with the AHL's Maine Mariners.

And if you happened to see that Sweeney was playing with Mr. Defense, Ray Bourque, you would have seen that, yes, Harvard guys can play in the NHL.

Simply put, Sweeney was solid from the blue line. This week, Bruins Coach Mike Milbury decided to have Sweeney practice as a forward. Considering all the injuries the B's have suffered this season, it might be the kind of move the Bruins need.

There is no doubt Sweeney can skate. Playing on a young Harvard team two years ago, Sweeney also proved he can score.

With Sweeney up front for the Bruins, who knows what will happen. But one thing is sure: You'll be hearing a lot more about him if stays with the Bruins.

Oh, to be a football fan in Dallas this year. Maybe it's some kind of curse inflicted by Tom Landry. But whatever the reason, the action on the gridiron has been as exciting as watching two economists discussing trade incentives for underdeveloped countries on public television. In one corner, you have the Dallas Cowboys, the only team in the NFL that hasn't won a game this season. In the other corner, the SMU Mustangs, who are quickly becoming the nation's worst college football team. (Good news for Kansas State.)

So in honor to the city which was once a football paradise, here are the top 10 things Dallas residents now do on weekends instead of going to football games:

10. Clip their toenails.

9. Dream about 1993, when the Cowboys will have the rights to every college player in the nation and the Mustangs may finally win a game.

8. Go bowling.

7. Play Twister.

6. Take eight-hour walks around the city.

5. Read a really good book.

4. Visit Houston.

3. Iron their socks.

2. Spend and entire Saturday dialing Jose Canseco's new sports line.

1. Watch "Dallas."

Mike Barnicle said it best this week: Those who don't know anything about football root for Notre Dame.

Speaking of the Irish, Lou Holtz's squad gets to play SMU on November 11. There's some tough scheduling for you. And this is a team that should win the national championship. Who are the Irish playing next? Columbia?

College hockey has already started in the Midwest. Minnesota is already 0-2. Guess the Gophers haven't recovered yet.

Caught the Calgary Flames playing the Bruins last Saturday. The Flames are definitely the scariest team in the NHL.

I wonder if Danny Ferry is having red wine with his pasta these days.

It has already started: Rob Mahnke, diehard Lowellian and Celtics fan, is asking questions about the Knicks. This week, he wanted to know who Patrick Ewing's backup center is (Eddie Lee Wilkins). This is going to be the best Atlantic Division season in a long time. I mean, even the New Jersey Nets might win some games.

The mascot for the Orlando Magic is called (gasp) Stuff the Magic Dragon. Get it?