Snakebit Once More

By Julio R. Varela

Somewhere near the shores of the Hudson River, there lurks a 3000-ft. boa constrictor that enjoys biting the Columbia football team every fall.

Just after the venom of the infamous 44-game losing streak finally wore off, this hideous creature has attacked again. This time, it has ripped into the core of the team's offense.

When the Lions host Harvard tomorrow at Lawrence A. Wien Stadium in New York, the running back duo of Solomon Johnson and Greg Abbruzzese will be watching from the bench. Last year as sophomores, the tandem combined for 1430 yards on the ground.

Johnson, the 1988 Ivy League Sophomore of the Year, strained his left knee last Monday and is listed as probable for tomorrow's game. Abbruzzese, who rushed for 198 yards last year against Brown, has torn ligaments in his left knee. He won't be seen in a Columbia uniform for at least three weeks.

"I wouldn't be as upset if it wasn't for Greg being hurt," said Johnson, known around Morningside Heights as "Solo."

This year, it was all going to be different for Johnson. With Ray Tellier taking over the coaching duties, the junior from East Orange, N.J., was expected to move out of the backfield and up to the line as a wide receiver. The logic was simple: have Abbruzzese run, watch Johnson catch and Columbia would have two potent offensive weapons on the field at the same time.

Then the snake made a return visit.

"People around campus kept asking all week 'Are you playing? Are you playing?,'" said Johnson, who was billed as the savior to the Columbia program the moment he set foot on campus two years ago.

It would make sense for any Columbia fan to feel optimistic this year. The post-Streak era was set to begin. That is, until that monster from the Hudson had to screw things up again.

So, instead of wondering what Abbruzzese and Johnson would do this year, the Columbia fan has other questions to ask. Like, what's the doctor saying these days?

If and when Johnson and Abbruzzese do return to the lineup, don't expect the Lions to depend on the duo like they did last year. With a new coach and a new outlook, the Lions intend to spread the offense.

"If [Tellier] wanted to center on us," said Johnson, "he'd be running the Wishbone."

But to think the Lions can contend for the Ivy title without their two stars getting the ball is like saying that Michael Jordan really has no effect on the chemistry of the Chicago Bulls.

What Johnson and Abbruzzese have done is give the Lions a legitimate offense, something they've been searching for since 1891.

Tomorrow, however, they'll be watching from the bench. Maybe the Lions should invest in a giant Snake Motel.