As Race Opens, Council Tickets Vie for Votes

Candidates woo voters with fake money, pizza

The race is on.

Yesterday morning, at 12:01 a.m., the campaign for Undergraduate Council president began in a spray of soda, paint and colored posters.

Precisely at midnight, supporters of all five teams of candidates grabbed posters and began a mad dash through the Houses and Yard dorms, racing to cover bulletin boards first.

Following another early morning postering run in the Yard, many candidates ate breakfast in Annenberg Hall yesterday, making a first attempt at reaching the crucial first-year vote. The majority of voters in past elections have been first-year students.

Wearing a flag sweater, presidential candidate B. J. Averell '02 shared a bowl of Golden Grahams with a table full of first-years.

"I'm the golden boy of the UC," he explained.

A couple of tables away, candidate Justin A. Barkley '02 declared his first nine hours of campaigning a success.

"Today was good. We got out postering early and grabbed some good spots," he said.

Recommended Articles

Five Tickets Will Seek Highest Council Posts
The five candidates for Undergraduate Council president start off the campaign agreeing on at least one thing: this might be
Endorsements Begin To Factor In Council Race
As voting in the Undergraduate Council's presidential race begins at midnight tonight, student groups are lining up behind their favorite
Candidates Differ on Council's Activist Role
In a campaign that has seen increasing consensus about specific proposals, candidates for the Undergraduate Council presidency continue to differ
Council Race Wraps Up
As the Undergraduate Council presidential race wraps up today, candidates are making a final push for victory and making plans
Gusmorino Elected Undergraduate Council President
Paul A. Gusmorino '02 defeated four other candidates to become the next Undergraduate Council president last night. In the final
Gusmorino Wins Council Presidency
Paul A. Gusmorino '02 defeated four other candidates to take the Undergraduate Council presidency on early Saturday morning, winning the