SSI Guard Accused of Assaulting Student

By Garrett M. Graff, Crimson Staff Writer

Errol Allen, one of Harvard's out-sourced security guards, has been accused of assault by one of the students he was meant to protect, officials with the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) confirmed this weekend.

On March 23, two days before spring break, in 20 DeWolfe St., the guard approached the Quincy House student in the laundry room, around the corner from the guard station, according to police sources and building residents with knowledge of the incident.

According to some residents, Allen, formerly a guard for Security Systems Inc. (SSI), allegedly tried to grope her during the encounter and grabbed her violently by the shoulders.

The woman filed a report of the incident on April 4.

Although he was reassigned immediately after police received the report, University officials still felt it necessary to notify DeWolfe residents.

"The security guard for 20 DeWolfe has been reassigned," tutor Anupa Bir wrote in an e-mail message last week. "He should no longer be seen around our building."

Building residents said the attack seemed out of character for Allen.

"He was friendlier than most of the guards," one student commented.

"He was always very cordial and friendly," Marna Schutte '01 said. "I got a good impression for him because he was always studying."

Allen was taking classes and working toward a high-school equivalency degree.

Despite hearing of the charges, many students empathized with Allen, who worked multiple jobs.

"I'm going to miss him," Kiana C. Foster '02 said.

SSI guards have become a fixture on campus this school year as Harvard's old proprietary guard force is phased out. The new white-uniformed guards are now stationed in most undergraduate Houses and other College buildings.

Harvard began using SSI to provide security at the College last summer, saying the new guard force would be larger and better trained.

A Crimson article last fall pointed to a variety of shortcomings with the new guards, including poor training.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, HUPD officers say overall the situation with SSI guards has improved, but that one main thing keeps SSI from attracting better trained and longer-lasting guards.

"Maybe if they paid them better they could keep them longer," one officer said.

Guards are paid less than $10 an hour, University officials have said.