Biker Hit By Van on Mass. Ave.

By Garrett M. Graff, Crimson Staff Writer

An Enterprise rental van hit a man on a bicycle crossing Mass. Ave. late yesterday morning.

Coming off the traffic island, the man was attempting to cross from Mass. Ave. to Garden St. when he was struck broadside by the van, eyewitnesses said.

The accident occurred just minutes before noon while students were on their way to class.

"He just came right off the curb without looking," said eyewitness George T. Livingston, a local construction worker. "It looked like he was trying to beat the light."

Following the accident, the victim was able to move to the curb according to eyewitnesses. Eventually, Cambridge rescue ambulances transported the victim to the hospital.

He suffered scrapes, bruises and an injured elbow in the accident, according to eyewitnesses.

His glasses and watch lay flattened on the road minutes after the accident.

Yesterday's accident was at least the second time in as many weeks where a person on a bicycle was hit on Garden St.

During move-in week, a car hit Nicole B. Usher '03 while she was riding her bike in front of the Sheraton Commander. Usher received a broken pelvis in that accident.

Police had no comment on the accidents.