W. Water Polo Falls to Hartwick

By The Crimson Staff

Defense was apparently optional as the Harvard women’s water polo team fell 16-8 to No. 15 Hartwick at Moyer Pool on Saturday.

The Crimson (9-6) came into the matchup fresh off a 3-1 homestand, including a 5-4 win over then-No. 18 Brown.

But any momentum Harvard gained from last weekend’s contests quickly vanished as Hartwick (19-8) dominated the play from the start, running off five unanswered goals to take a commanding 5-0 lead at the end of the first period. Harvard’s defense responded in the second quarter, holding the Hawks to just a goal. The Crimson only recorded two goals of its own and trailed 6-2 heading into halftime.

Harvard managed to notch six second-half scores, but could not contain the explosive Hartwick attack. The Hawks posted 10 goals in the same span, never giving the Crimson an opportunity to get back into the contest.

Junior Teresa Codini scored three goals for Harvard, while sophomore Molly Mehaffey chipped in two.

The Crimson return to action next Saturday, taking on Marist and Siena in Providence, R.I.

Women's Water Polo