Ostara: Diversity of Women’s Participation in Arts To Be Celebrated

By Vinita M. Alexander, Crimson Staff Writer

Ostara: a celebration of women in the performing arts

Location: Harvard Faculty Club

DATE: May 6 at 7 p.m.

Director: Katherine P. Stanchik ’06

Producer: Cara B. Eisenpress ’07

he Kroks will sing, cheese will be served, and sparkling cider toasts will be made at the Faculty Club this Friday. No, the scene will not be the revelry of the old boys’ club but rather the celebration of the role of women in the performing arts.

In conjunction with the Arts First Weekend and the Women’s Leadership Network, Director Katherine P. Stanchik ’06 promises that Ostara performers, culled from a daunting audition pool, are among “the best of the best” artists at Harvard.

While it may be difficult to verify such claims, there can be little doubt that “Ostara” will showcase in one place perhaps the widest array of the best arts this weekend. In fact, the program features five dance pieces, including a high-energy Turkish belly-dance performance by acclaimed Ipek Mutlu ’05, dramatic monologues, poetry readings, and even singing.

Lest students should fear a night of force-fed feminism, Stanchik assures that “Ostara” aims not to propagate a singular empowerment agenda or single-sex participation. Rather, it simply seeks to encourage broad participation in recognizing the importance of women in the arts. To that end, students Alexa L. M. von Tobel ’06 and Tom P. Lowe ’05 will co-emcee the program.

Perhaps the program’s goal of celebrating all is best exemplified in the conglomeration of cultures that converges in the poetic narrative of Natalia Martinez ’08, focusing on a child going blind. Written in Spanish, Russian, and English, Martinez’s easy flow and switching between accents in her performance seems to encapsulate just the easy fluency and “multi-lingual” participation of women in the arts that Ostara aims to showcase.

Despite its co-ed interests, “Ostara” slips in a few deeply female experiences. In fact, Sophie C. Kargman ’08 will perform a monologue from the play, “Boy Gets Girl,” about a girl fiercely stalked by a one-time blind date, while Lindsay A. Freeman ’07 will perform a humorous piece from “Vagina Monologues.”

However, while Ostara may reveal certain truths that only females can identify, it also features strong comedy, tragedy, and talent that even men are sure to enjoy.

—Staff Writer Vinita M. Alexander can be reached at valexand@fas.harvard.edu