A Sustainable Solution

Power Vote has a laudable goal

By The Crimson Staff, None

As Harvard begins its week-long sustainability celebration to kick off its new green-house gas reduction commitment, the Environmental Action Committee (EAC) is kicking off a campaign of its own—one that revolves around 1,500 little green cards. The EAC chose well to devote time and energy to Power Vote, a national non-partisan effort that promises to tangible results in the fight to protect our planet.

Power Vote’s goal to elevate environmental issues in the upcoming election, to be achieved by mobilizing young voters, is naturally a positive one. And the methods to be used are even better. Youth volunteers both on and off college campuses across the country are reaching out to their peers, outlining Power Vote’s platform and asking those who agree with it to vote for green candidates and sign a pledge to environmental goals. A million of these pledges will be delivered en mass to incoming politicians, serving as a concrete reminder that young voters not only care about environmental issues and but we also expect officials on Capital Hill to prioritize clean energy.

The EAC was wise to put its efforts behind Power Vote because the initiative alerts students not only to green issues, but also to the power of voting and the importance of taking collective action. With concrete proposals for Washington—including investment in millions of new green jobs, driving global warming pollution towards zero, and enacting an immediate moratorium on “dirty” energy sources—Power Vote sends far more than just a general environmental message to politicians.

While the strength and comprehensiveness of Power Vote’s platform remain quite compelling, the inclusion of nuclear energy on its list of “dirty” energy gives reason for pause. Given the current state of technology—our inability to store nuclear waste, for example—relying on nuclear energy is environmentally irresponsible, just as Power Vote maintains. Still, if technology improves in the future, allowing us to store or dispose of nuclear waste in a safe and responsible manner, nuclear energy should be developed and utilized as a clean source of power.

While the EAC’s efforts towards Power Vote demonstrate students’ commitment to environmental activism on campus, University Hall should also be congratulated for holding Sustainability Week in the first place. University President Drew G. Faust especially deserves praise for placing the weight of her presidency behind such a worthwhile goal. The celebration promises to bring concentrated, campus-wide attention to environmental issues—crucial to our generation—in a manner that is accessible and engaging for students. Moreover, this week promises to create a positive atmosphere of environmental awareness and advocacy at Harvard, setting the University on a course we hope it will continue to pursue.