Tailgate Changes Fail To Curb Alcohol Incidents

By Edward-michael Dussom, Contributing Writer

Despite changes in the school’s tailgating policy, the 125th Harvard-Yale game resulted in a few alcohol-related health and disciplinary incidents amongst student-fans, according to Harvard University Police Department officials.

This year’s game resulted in nine alcohol-related medical transports, according to HUPD spokesman Steven G. Catalano.

As of yesterday, those statistics also included one mutual assault-and-battery between a Harvard student and a non-affiliated spectator, as well as one arrest by the Boston Police Department of a minor in possession of alcohol.

In addition, Catalano said that one Yale student was stopped for public urination.

College administrators said it is still too early to determine how the new restrictions on Harvard-Yale festivities, which required that the pre-game tailgate conclude at kick-off, affected the drinking environment of this year’s match.

According to Jason B. McCoy ’08, the College’s Campus Life Fellow and unofficial “fun czar,” information concerning arrests and hospitalizations will continue to trickle in through the first week in December. Evaluation of the new restrictions will occur later that month at a debriefing meeting with representatives from the College, HUPD, and University Health Services.

McCoy said that, as a spectator inside the “incident tent,” the game passed without incident. The tent, located adjacent to Harvard Stadium and open throughout the game, sheltered a UHS medical team, several resident deans and proctors, and a field of cots for intoxicated students.

Student perception of the restrictions’ impact was generally mixed.

Veronica M. Maldonado ’11, a Cabot House resident, said she found that the tailgating restrictions generally encouraged game-goers to drink faster and earlier. Their thirst satiated, many went on to leave the game before half-time, she said.

“I think that it was definitely harder to have fun,” she said.

Others said they found little negative impact.

“I wasn’t even aware that there were restrictions in place,” said Dian Yu ’11, another member of Cabot House.

Administrators said that preserving the Harvard-Yale experience while simultaneously creating a safer game environment was the chief motive behind the changes.

Despite a lower turnout perhaps attributable to the bitter cold, McCoy called the 2008 match a success.

“The people that were there definitely seemed to be enjoying themselves,” he said.