Two-Way Street

Harvard’s new plans for Allston will benefit the University and the community

1Uncaptioned photo
1Uncaptioned photo
By The Crimson Staff, None

While any headline from the Allston front might already seem hackneyed, new developments along the road to the construction of Harvard’s property across the Charles still provide reasons to turn your head. Throughout this long process, Harvard officials have been dealing with a balancing act of initiatives that would benefit either Harvard or Allston. Unfortunately, it often seems impossible to please both parties at the same time. That dichotomy changed with the recent plan released by the Allston Development Group late last month.

Naturally, Allston residents are concerned about the potential for Harvard to “take over” the area and close itself off to the community. Harvard has responded to that with a plan consisting of an open commons area that would serve as a public green space between the campus and town, several other parks, and a comprehensive system of walking and bike paths for residents. As much as this will beautify the area for the residents of Allston and make the new area much more navigable, it will do the same things for the Harvard community that will be there. Harvard has also chosen to hold off on creating too many eateries in the Allston community so that locally owned businesses can remain competitive. Barry’s Corner is one area in Allston that has great potential to flourish as long as Harvard refrains from forcing alternatives to the Corner’s future attractions.

The hallmark of the new changes to the plan for Allston is a focus on sustainability. Along with these beneficial green spaces, the new plans even call for a garden and orchard to be sown on the Allston property. While the size and food output of these projects may be still in the works, this array of sustainable symbols is a great way to set an example for Allston and beyond. Harvard does well in proposing these changes following its sustainability week, showing it is not just advocating, but acting.

Intersections between the aspirations of Harvard and those of the residents of Allston do not take place all too often. We must remember that this is a long-term process, and as long as a dialogue continues between Harvard and Allston, complaints will never cease from either side. This is the inevitable outcome of such a building process, but when these situations do occur for joint benefit, they must be fully pursued. The Allston Development Group must fully consider how each side will be affected by their plans, and act for the greatest possible benefit. Harvard may often deem that the greatest benefit will happen when the University grows, and that is their prerogative. What must be their priority is easing the relationship with Allston, and capitalizing on chances to better the ongoing relationship.