Inclement weather forces Softball to delay Cornell and cancel Rhode Island

By Crimson Sports Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

From Ithaca, N.Y. to Kingston, R.I., the rain follows the Crimson wherever it goes.

For the third time this week, Harvard softball was benched due to inclement weather.

Harvard was scheduled to travel to Rhode Island this afternoon for a two-game meeting with the Rams but rain forced the match-up to be canceled.

Bad weather is not new though for the Crimson. The Ivy season opener, which was supposed to be played last Saturday, was originally postponed for Monday. Continued bad weather forced the Big Red to further postpone the games—the teams will finally face each other tomorrow in Ithaca.

Coming off a jam-packed spring break, the Crimson competed in 11 games, including five double-headers, going 6-5. Along with a winning record, the busy break also saw Harvard open league play against Princeton—the Crimson’s only Ivy challenge thus far.

In close fights this past Sunday, the Tigers came out on top of a one-run margin in both games. The losses put Harvard at 0-2 in the league and 7-14 overall.

After this week’s shifts, the team’s full schedule this month has little room for more rainouts. The Cornell contest will be Harvard’s first of six Ivy League games in a four-day span, with Columbia and Penn coming to town this weekend.

Softball