POPSCREEN: Lil' Will

My Dougie dir. Benny Matthews

By Tiffany Chi, Contributing Writer

What exactly is a “Dougie,” you ask? Good question. Stay tuned—it might just take you the entirety of Lil’ Wil’s new video to figure that one out. And even at the end, you still might not know. Unless, that is, you are the self-proclaimed YouTube “Real Hip Hop Head” who knows that “My Dougie” refers to the popular 80s rapper and beatboxer, Doug E. Fresh (clever word play seems to be one of Lil’ Wil’s talents, along with the ability to create monosyllabic rhymes).

But where Doug E. Fresh has gained hip-hop status, it seems likely Lil’ Wil may not.

In “My Dougie,” Lil’ Wil has successfully accomplished the task of combining all the worst stereotypical aspects of rap videos into one. But it doesn’t stop there—he even pays tribute to the song’s namesake by creating a “My Dougie” dance to go along with the music. Watch out, Soulja Boy!

In the video, Lil’ Wil and the RudeBwoy entertainment crew take over Texas, waking up in a smoked-out room and pushing off their hos to take to the streets. A day in the life of these “phresh” rappers includes standing in front of their expensive cars, caressing their “Dougie” hairstyles, and hitting up the club—where they further caress their “Dougie” hairstyles.

In between are token hip-hop video screenshots: the rappers’ faces complete with shades, grillz, and bling juxtaposed with scrolling close-ups of well-oiled legs. Hos in short denim skirts and stilettos do the “Dougie” dance, there are shots of rims, and a recent rap-video favorite appears: a little boy, dancing and donning bling and a strategically placed wad of cash. At least Lil’ Wil doesn’t forget the children.

This is pretty much the entirety of the three-minute “My Dougie” video, whose complexity in plot can only be compared with its complexity in lyrics. “My Dougie,” however, does manage to make some magic: as the video progresses, the hos amazingly multiply more times than Lil’ Wil can repeat the eponymous catch phrase in the course of one song.

College students beware! Better learn that “My Dougie” dance if you want to look fresh on the floor. But don’t worry—it shouldn’t take very long.

Music