SPORTS BRIEF: Rookie Wrestler Wins Position at FILAWorld Team Trials in May

By The Crimson Staff, None

Freshman Corey Jantzen has the chance to translate his strong performance at the end of the college season onto the international stage.

Jantzen and classmate Dan Kelly traveled to Las Vegas this weekend to compete in the 2008 FILA Junior Nationals, hoping to earn a spot at the World Team Trials.

Jantzen accomplished his goal, going undefeated in four bouts at 63 kg to claim first over Vision Quest’s Michael Mangrum.

The rookie also posted dominant victories over Colby Pisani of Penn State, Chris Diaz of Kolat/Raw, and Mat-Town USA’s Andrew Alton.

The FILA World Junior/University Team Trials, which take place May 23 and 24, help select the team that will represent the US in the World Championships this summer.

Jantzen will face another four wrestlers in Colorado Springs to fight for a spot on the roster.

Kelly went 2-2 at 55 kg in the junior division and did not qualify for the World Team Trials, while Harvard assistant coach Darrell Vasquez, who has already qualified for the US Olympic trials in June, went 1-2 in the senior bracket.

—CRIMSON STAFF

Wrestling