SPORTS BRIEF: Vaillancourt Among Kazmaier Finalists

By Crimson Sports Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

Sarah Vaillancourt, a tri-captain of the Harvard women’s hockey team, was named a top-three finalist for the Patty Kazmaier Award yesterday. The Kazmaier Award is given annually to the top player in collegiate women’s hockey.

Vaillancourt, who won the award in 2008, is looking to become the first two-time winner since Jennifer Botterill ’02-’03.

The other two finalists are Mercyhurst forward Meghan Agosta and Wisconsin goaltender Jessie Vetter.

Vaillancourt led the Crimson in scoring for the second consecutive season, accumulating 52 points on 25 goals and 27 assists. She ranks fourth in the country in both points per game (1.93) and assists per game (1.00).

Vaillancourt has already been honored as the Ivy League and ECAC Player of the Year this season. She looks to extend Harvard’s tradition of Kazmaier success—the award has gone to a Crimson player in six of the 11 years that it has been given out.

Agosta is the first person in Kazmaier history to be named a top-three finalist three times. The junior has led Mercyhurst to a No. 3 national ranking, and is first in the nation in points (2.59), goals (1.31), and assists (1.28) per game.

Vetter recorded 30 wins in net for top-ranked Wisconsin. The senior boasts an NCAA-record 37 career shutouts and 88 career wins. Vetter is second in the country in save percentage (.936) and goals-against average (1.33).

The Kazmaier Award will be presented on March 21 in Boston in conjunction with the NCAA Frozen Four.

—KATE LEIST

Women's Ice Hockey