SPORTS BRIEF: Men’s swimmers Jones, Meyer, represent Harvard at NCAAs in College Station, Texas

By Crimson Sports Staff, None

Two Harvard swimmers donned their crimson and white this past weekend to represent themselves and their team at the 2009 NCAA Men’s Swimming and Diving Championships in College Station, Texas. Senior butterfly standout Bill Jones returned to NCAAs for the second straight year, while junior distance go-to man Alex Meyer made his first appearance at the championships.

Jones raced in the two events that have set him apart from the competition this past season—his signature 100-yard and 200-yard butterfly.

Jones placed 28th in the 100-yard butterfly, touching the wall in 47.11 and marking an improvement on his 47.35 time from 2008.

Jones also competed in the 200-yard butterfly, but he was disqualified due to a stroke violation.

Meyer had a solid showing at his first NCAA meet, making waves in both the 500-yard freestyle and the 1650-yard freestyle. The Ithaca, N.Y. native recorded a time of 4:24.38 in the 500-yard freestyle, earning 44th place in the event. Meyer also finished 25th in the 1650-yard freestyle with a time of 15:06.58.

As the Harvard men’s swimming and diving season finally comes to a close, the team knows it will sorely miss the leadership and athletic prowess Jones has provided for the past four years. However, the Crimson faithful also know where to look for future success—they can expect big things from Meyer in 2009-10.

—ALEXANDRA J. MIHALEK

Men's Swimming