Feminism Goes on Display in Adams

Students gather at the Adams Art Space to celebrate Harvard's first annual Feminist Coming Out Day, where a feminist portrait project displayed the diverse faces of feminists on campus.
By Alice E. M. Underwood, Crimson Staff Writer

Forty placards, each bearing the words “I am a feminist because,” hung beside corresponding photographs of self-identified feminist students and professors in an exhibit that opened last night in the Adams Arts Space.

The Feminist Portrait Project, co-sponsored by the Radcliffe Union of Students and the Harvard Queer Students and Allies, features notable Harvard personalities including Law School Professor Alan M. Dershowitz and History and Literature lecturer Timothy P. McCarthy ’93.

The exhibit is one component of Harvard’s first annual Feminist Coming Out Day.

The statements of the individuals highlighted in the exhibit displayed a diverse understanding of feminism. Dershowitz wrote that gender equality has always been self-evident to him, and McCarthy wrote that he believes in the “radical” notion that women are full, free, and equal human beings. Gregory B. Johnston ’13 wrote that the world cannot afford to lose half its brilliant minds so the other half can feel more powerful. Shani Boianjiu ’11, co-president of RUS, wrote that feminism is the new “it” girl.

“Feminism is becoming a lot more visible on campus—look at these people from all different walks of life who have come out as feminists for this exhibit,” said Boianjiu, who added that she hopes the various notions of feminism expressed will increase discussion and awareness of feminist issues. “The exhibit gave RUS a chance to reach out to the amazing diversity of people at Harvard and learn how those people perceive the things we’re passionate about.”

Abby P. Sun ’13, co-president of RUS, said that the range of ideas expressed is inspiring and thought-provoking for people who may not have thought of themselves as feminists in the past.

“Feminism is a lifelong pursuit of justice, and a lot of it has to do with spreading awareness,” Sun said, adding that the exhibit is a wonderful way to bring a wide spectrum of feminist ideas into public view. ”One of the goals of this exhibit is to make feminism a label people are proud of.”

QSA Women’s Events and Outreach Chair Lena Chen ’09-’10, an organizer of the exhibit, invited the fifty or more attendees admiring the photographs to join the people pictured on the wall in coming out as feminists. Polaroid camera in hand, she snapped pictures of the attendees and taped the snapshots to the wall.

“A lot of people on campus may never have realized they were feminists without this exhibit,” Chen said. “Feminism is not something that’s just important to women—a lot of people can relate to it.”

She passed the camera to a friend and posed with a fellow QSA member for a picture. “Feminism is for everyone!” she smiled.

—Staff writer Alice E.M. Underwood can be reached at aeunderw@fas.harvard.edu.

Student GroupsStudent LifeAdams