Faust Supports Stem Cell Work

By Elias J. Groll and William N. White, Crimson Staff Writers

University President Drew G. Faust announced yesterday that she would continue to support stem-cell research at Harvard in spite of a recent court ruling that threatens to cut off federal funding for research involving human embryos, writing that “the promise of stem cell science is at risk of becoming a dream deferred.”

Late yesterday the effort to restore federal funding suffered a set-back in federal court after a judge denied an emergency request by the National Institutes of Health for a stay to the injunction, shutting the flow of federal funds while the case works its way through the legal system.

“We hope that the temporary injunction will soon be lifted and that Congress will take the steps necessary to ensure that stem cell scientists can carry on their work vigorously and responsibly, in the interests of the millions of people who may someday enjoy its benefits,” Faust wrote in a statement.

Harvard, through its membership in the Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research, filed an amicus brief in the case that said that irreparable harm would be done to research efforts unless the injunction is stayed, a move that would allow funding to continue while the case is further appealed.

Judge Royce C. Lamberth ruled in August that the 1995 Dickey-Wicker Amendment prohibits the federal government from participating in research that includes the destruction of human embryos.

“Congress has mandated that the public interest is served by preventing taxpayer funding of research that entails the destruction of human embryos,” Lamberth wrote in yesterday’s denial of the stay.

Harvard scientists, several of whom are heavily involved in stem cell research, have lamented the court ruling and have said it would delay medical advances.

The ruling cuts off funding for research that involves embryonic stem cells but would not ban the research outright, which can continue so long as it is privately funded.

“For this science to go forward requires the full involvement of the federal government,” said Douglas A. Melton, co-chair of the Department of Stem Cell and Regenerative Biology and co-director of the Harvard Stem Cell Institute. “The consequence of the injunction staying in place is that it would slow down medical advances.”

Faust recently visited Melton’s lab, where she expressed her commitment to continuing Harvard’s involvement in stem-cell research.

“Harvard strongly supports its stem cell researchers,” she wrote.

Yesterday’s decision to deny the request for an injunction sets the stage for further litigation.

“Today’s Federal District Court injunction halting federal funding for human embryonic stem cell research is a blow to the hopes of millions of patients and their families suffering from fatal and chronic diseases and disorders,” said Lisa Hughes, the president of CAMR.

According to Melton, the question of federal funding to human embryonic stem cell research must be solved with a legislative solution. The Dickey-Wicker Amendment was passed before the discovery of human embryonic stem cells, and as a result, Melton said, is out of touch with current science.

—Staff writer Elias J. Groll can be reached at egroll@fas.harvard.edu.

—Staff writer William N. White can be reached at wwhite@fas.harvard.edu.

Central AdministrationPoliticsSciences DivisionDrew Faust